This Beetroot, Squash, and Farro Salad will be your new go-to winter salad recipe! Made with beautiful, clean, and fresh produce, this salad is hearty, healthy, easy to make, and perfect for the chilly season.
Ahhh winter. I have a strong love/hate relationship with winter. I dread the endless rain and cloud cover, but I love how I can spend time inside reading, relaxing, or hiking outside in the snow! While I try to be active during the winter, more often than not, I find myself craving comfort foods.
I definitely find it harder to eat healthily during the winter, however, over time I’ve discovered that the key to still eating well during winter is having a go-to winter salad. A salad packed full of beautiful produce that keeps you fuller for longer, which is where this beetroot, squash, and farro salad comes in to play.
Beetroot + Squash + Farro Salad Recipe
This salad is packed full of goodness. We have a combination of butternut squash, beetroot, arugula, and a hearty portion of farro and goat cheese to enhance the flavors. This salad has a slightly nutty flavor to it from the farro, walnuts, and arugula, and some beautiful textures that won’t disappoint!
This salad only requires a few simple ingredients that are easily found in local supermarkets and it feeds a crowd! What more could you want? The key ingredient to make this salad exciting and extra nutty is the farro.
Farro is a type of whole grain similar to barley. It has a chewy texture and is perfect for vegans, vegetarians, and anyone looking for healthier options for meals. It is also super filling, leaving you fuller for longer. You can find farro in a lot of supermarkets. If you can’t find it at yours, perfect substitutes include quinoa, brown rice, barley, buckwheat, freeka, or anything else that resembles a whole grain you can find!
Whether you’re meal prepping, looking to cook for a crowd, or you just want something a little different to put down on the dinner table, this beetroot, squash, and farro salad is for you!
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 3 cups diced beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw farro
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 oz goat cheese
- Balsamic glaze to drizzle
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- Combine ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place diced squash and beetroot in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil plus a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and roast until soft and starting to turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile cook the farro. Rinse 1/2 cup of farro in cold water. Place farro and 2 cups of water in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, or until farro is soft and chewy. If liquid remains, strain.
- Put arugula in a large salad bowl.
- Top with roasted beetroot, squash, and the farro.
- Use fingers to roughly pull apart pieces of goat cheese to add to salad.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Pour over vinaigrette and toss until well combined.
- Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Home Chef Tip: Can't find farro? Quinoa, brown or wild rice, barley, or buckwheat make fantastic substitutes!
We hope you enjoy this Beetroot + Squash + Farro Salad recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Georgina from The Home Cook’s Kitchen, as much as we do. If you love this winter salad, you can find more like it by visiting our vegetarian section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!