This Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl is a quick 20-minute meal that’s an easy healthy dinner. A spicy cooked salmon fillet is served in a bowl of rice and fresh farmers market veggies for a protein-packed meal infused with Asian flavors.
I think I’m going to call it! This Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl is my new-found favorite weeknight dinner! Picture this. A caramelized, spicy salmon fillet on top of a soft bed of fluffy white rice, combined with crunchy vegetables and fresh lime juice. Are you feeling me?
These salmon poke bowls are perfect if you’re in the mood for something healthy, but you don’t want to spend hours over the stove. Poke bowls are all the rage at the moment, and I can totally see why! They’re super fun to serve, they’re an easy healthy dinner, and best of all, these spicy salmon poke bowls are totally customizable depending on tastes.
For this particular salmon poke bowl, I opted for fresh cucumber, carrot, cabbage, edamame, and avocado with a little bit of fresh green onion and a lime wedge to finish it off. Honestly, the reason I went for these vegetables was that they were already in my fridge and they’re so colorful! If you’ve heard the saying ‘eat the rainbow’, then this poke bowl fulfills all those requirements!
Poke bowls are perfect with farmers market veggies!
You could also add in some fresh red bell pepper, some pickled vegetables like radish, maybe some sesame seeds, red onion, the options are really limitless!
I know a lot of people aren’t raw fish fans, and to be perfectly honest, I am only a raw tuna fan if it’s high-quality tuna, which is why I decided to make this a cooked salmon poke bowl! I got one large fillet of salmon from my local supermarket and cut it in half long ways before marinating it in the spicy sauce. Then from there, it’s a quick, 5-minute cook on the stove for a beautifully cooked piece of salmon!
There is really not much to this recipe, aside from some wholesome, healthy ingredients! They can be made according to taste, and would make a great healthy weeknight meal, or an at-home poke bowl style dinner party! The options are endless! Happy salmon poke making!
- 1 medium sized salmon fillet, cut into two long pieces
- 1 tsp chili paste (like sambal oelek)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup of cooked white rice (divided)
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced (or half an English cucumber)
- 1 carrot, grated into ribbons
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup of cooked edamame
- 1 avocado, halved
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- lime wedge to serve
- Place marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Taste and adjust flavor - there should be a nice balance between sweet, salty, sour and spicy.
- Add salmon and set aside for 15 minutes to marinate while you prep the vegetables.
- Divide the rice between two bowl.
- Top with cucumber, cabbage, edamame, and carrot.
- Add half the avocado to each bowl.
- Cook the salmon - turn a cast iron skillet or fry pan to medium high heat. Add salmon and cook 3-5 minutes on one side, then flip to cook on the other. Cooking time will vary on your taste in salmon and the thickness of the piece. A thicker piece may take longer. I prefer my salmon medium so would cook it close to 6 minutes in total.
- Lay the salmon on top of the poke bowl.
- Sprinkle the green onions and serve with the lime wedge.
Home Chef Tip: Sambal Oelek is easy to find in most supermarkets in the Asian section. Sriracha would be another good option, but omit the sugar as Sriracha is already sweet.
We hope you enjoy this Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Georgina from The Home Cook’s Kitchen, as much as we do. If you love this simple and delicious recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!