This 15-Minute Pan Fried Flounder recipe is the perfect weeknight seafood dinner. It only requires a handful of ingredients and this tender fish with a crispy coating is amazing served with homemade tartar sauce for dipping.
Picky eaters will love this Pan Fried Flounder!
I recently started putting this Pan Fried Flounder with Homemade Tartar Sauce into regular rotation in my house, as it turns out my entire family really loves it. This 15-minute meal is even loved by my 4 year old, who is an extremely picky eater and adverse to everything except pizza, cheese, and chicken nuggets.
One evening I made this easy seafood dinner for my husband and I, and my son mistook it for chicken and really wanted to eat it. As a matter of fact, he ate a whole filet. Even after I told him it was fish, he refused to believe it and called it chicken. This simple weeknight meal doesn’t have a fishy taste at all. It has a very mild flavor and it’s very tender. Since it’s fried with Panko breadcrumbs, it has a crispy and delicious outside.
5-Ingredient Homemade Tartar Sauce
Now, let’s talk about the Homemade Tartar Sauce. Ever been in a situation where you’ve made fish and it turned out you were out of tartar sauce? While I grew up in Poland and we ate fried fish straight, my husband feels that fried fish has to have tartar sauce on the side. Sometimes I would forget to buy it and then have to quickly come up with something on the fly. This was how this homemade Tartar Sauce was born.
For the fish, all you need to do is bread it, then fry it on both sides for a couple of minutes. Just like that, your simple weeknight meal is done!
If you like this fish recipe, you may also like my Pan Fried Haddock Mediterranean Style. It’s out of this world delicious!
- 2 large, or 4 small, flounder fillets
- ½-1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½-1 cup flour
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 small dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Black Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Prepare 3 dishes or plates big enough to accommodate the fish for breading.
- Add Panko breadcrumbs to one of them, the flour to another one, and egg with water to the 3rd one, making sure to beat it with a fork (this dish should be more like bowl to hold in the egg but still big enough to accommodate the fish).
- Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Prepare to bread your fish. First flour it on both sides, then drench in the egg wash and finally cover it in panko breadcrumbs.
- Add approximately half an inch of cooking oil into a frying pan big enough to accommodate the fish and heat it up (you may need to do it in two batches if your frying pan isn’t big enough).
- Fry the fish on both sides until golden brown for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
- In the meantime chop your shallots, pickles, and dill.
- Add all the ingredients of Tartar Sauce into a bowl and mix well.
- Serve fried fish with Tartar Sauce and lemon wedges. Enjoy.
Home Chef Tips: Use a mini food processor to chop shallots and pickles to save some time.
We hope you love this 15-Minute Pan Fried Flounder recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Edyta from Innocent Delight. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our Seafood Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!