Ditch the pricey Chinese takeout and opt for this Healthy Homemade Sweet Sour Chicken recipe. This 30-minute meal boasts fresh, homemade flavors with a refined sugar free sweet sour sauce. The low-sodium fried chicken with fresh veggies makes the meal complete!
Craving Chinese Takeout?
There’s no need to spend a lot of money and run out for your favorite Chinese takeout anymore because this Homemade Sweet Sour Chicken recipe is just as delicious and a whole lot healthier. Traditional Asian cuisine is loaded with MSG, sugars, and sodium which are a lot of the things that our bodies don’t need in mass quantities. Next time you have a craving for a Chinese dish, whip up this simple 30-minute meal at home.
What’s so special about this 30-minute meal?
The low-sodium fried chicken chunks are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The chicken is lightly fried in avocado oil to crispy perfection. The pineapples and red bell peppers add color, fresh flavors, and crunch, and the rice adds a light carb to the dish to round it out. Top all of that with a refined sugar free sweet sour sauce and you have a meal that can’t be beat!
- 2 lb chicken tenders/loins, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup bread flour (0 sodium)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium ketchup
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup pineapple juice (from the pineapple chunks)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 Boil in Bag White or Brown Rice
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 can pineapple chunks packed in juice
- Cut chicken into cubes and set aside.
- Mix flour, corn starch, and spices in a mixing bowl, then add the water and stir to batter consistency. Add more water if your batter is too think.
- Put chicken cubes in the bowl and thoroughly cover with batter.
- Heat oil in a large pan on the stovetop.
- Fry chicken until cooked thoroughly, turning occasionally. Juices will be clear and chicken coating will be golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Mix the corn starch and pineapple juice until fully blended in a sauce pan.
- Add in all of the other ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring regularly, then reduce heat, and simmer until sauce thickens. About 10 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers into 1" squares and place in a pan, add pineapple chunks, and simmer both in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, just until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Serve chicken and veggie/fruit mix over prepared rice and add sauce to taste.
Home Chef Tip: To ensure this is a 30-minute meal, cook the rice in the microwave according to package directions while the chicken is frying.
We hope you enjoy this Healthy Homemade Sweet Sour Chicken as much as we do. If you love this easy dinner idea, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meal Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!