Love smoked salmon, but don’t have an expensive smoker? Learn how to Smoke Salmon on the grill with wood chips. In less than an hour, you’ll have zesty, smoked, budget-friendly salmon on the table.
Learn how to smoke salmon on the grill!
Love the amazing flavor of Smoked Salmon, but you don’t have a smoker and you don’t care to pay high-dollar restaurant prices to savor those flavors? No problem! Delicious smoked salmon infused with fabulous smoky flavors can be cooked on your grill without a lot of fancy ingredients, time, or expensive smoker. The smoky flavor of this nutritious fish is so amazing, you really don’t need all the sugary rubs or spice-heavy marinades you see in most recipes. A little lime juice, ground pepper, and olive oil go a long way when paired with the savory flavor that’s infused from the hickory wood. This is the simplest and most budget-friendly salmon recipe you’ll ever try. Once you learn how to smoke salmon on the grill, you won’t want it any other way!
- 1 salmon fillet with skin, roughly 3 pounds, pin bones removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Light a fire in your charcoal grill for indirect heat, maintaining a temperature around 300ºF. Add hickory chunks when the coals are hot.
- Place your salmon fillet in an aluminum foil boat, skin side down.
- Sprinkle salmon with olive oil, then juice of one lime, then ground black pepper.
- Close boat leaving a small portion open at the top so that the smoke can seep in.
- Place salmon in boat on the grill side without the coals and hickory chunks.
- Smoke for 40-45 minutes with the grill lid closed. Salmon is done when almost opaque throughout but pink in the center.
- Remove from grill and boats, cut into steaks, enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: If you do want to add a little more flavor, you can add a little garlic powder as well.
We hope you love this Grill Smoked Salmon recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this budget-friendly salmon recipe, be sure to visit our Seafood Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!