Easily make magical Cranberry, Bacon, and Brie Popovers in 35 minutes. Impressive popovers to wow your friends and family. Drizzled maple syrup enhances the tangy cranberries and perfectly complements the salty bacon and creamy brie.
There’s something so magical about a popover. Perhaps it’s the puffy, over-the-top shape, or the excitement of breaking through the crusty outside to reveal the crater-like inside lined with doughy goodness. Either way, these popovers are perfect as a snack or as a bread item at any meal.
This week, I made these Cranberry, Bacon, and Brie Popovers for the first time since having kids (my oldest is 5!). I set a big pan of them on the table for the kids to see when they arrived home in the evening. “Whoa, mommy, what are these?” “Can I try one?” After a few pokes, sniffs, and a big ol’ drizzle of maple syrup, immediate devouring of the popovers ensued.
I have my mom to thank for getting me on the popover bandwagon. Ever since she received her popover pan for Christmas several years ago, she’s been making them multiple times a year, especially around the holidays, including New Year’s Eve as a delicious appetizer. She’s always made the classic version with straight up eggs, flour, and milk. But for this recipe, I had to add a few special ingredients because it’s the holidays and we have guests to impress!
If you have any hesitation about making these Cranberry, Bacon, and Brie Popovers, let me give you a couple of pointers. You do not need a popover pan! A muffin tin will do the trick. And, the batter can be made in less than 5 minutes. Once you’ve whisked or blended the batter until smooth, pour it into a heated and well-greased pan. Then, top with bacon bits, dried cranberries, and a few pieces of brie cheese. Customization is welcome too! No cranberries? Try raisins or chopped apples. No bacon? Try little bits of sausage or ham. No brie? Try cheddar, feta, or goat cheese!
In 35 minutes, you’ll have some seriously impressive and puffy popovers to wow your friends and family with! My serving suggestion is to break them open and drizzle some maple syrup over the top. The added sweetness enhances the tangy cranberries and perfectly complements the salty bacon and creamy brie.
These popovers can be served at any meal, but with bacon and maple syrup involved, I think they’d be a wonderful addition to your next breakfast or brunch. Since there’s bacon involved, they are always a hit on the New Year’s Eve party appetizer table as well.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 ½ ounces brie cheese, chopped into tiny cubes
- Maple Syrup (optional)
- While the pan is heating, make the batter. Add the milk, eggs, butter, and salt to a blender or food processor and mix until combined. Alternatively, you can vigorously whisk the ingredients together by hand. Add in the flour and blend until smooth. Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes.
- While the batter is resting, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a muffin tin or popover pan with cooking spray or butter. Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Fry the bacon strips and chop into bits. Then chop the dried cranberries.
- Pour the batter half way to the top of each cup. Sprinkle an even amount of bacon bits, cranberries, and brie into each cup.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the outside of the popovers are crispy and golden brown.
We hope you enjoy this delicious and versatile recipe for Cranberry, Bacon, and Brie Popovers from SoFabFood Contributor, Krista from Destination Delish, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this amazing recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!