Love fluffy, homemade biscuits, but don’t think you have the time to make them? Think again because this 30-Minute Homemade Southern Biscuits recipe is here to help!
I fell in love with American biscuits earlier this year when my family attended a retreat organized by my church. At the retreat, we ATE, then we ate some more. It was ironic because we kept complaining about how there was too much food, but we didn’t stop eating!
One of the things that was served on one of those retreat-eating days was biscuits. Perfectly flaky biscuits. I fell in love. In my usual tradition, I had to make my own biscuits at home and I made these delicious mounds of goodness.
30-Minute Homemade Southern Biscuits
My homemade biscuits were so good that they hardly got completely cold. They disappeared that quickly. My husband alone ate four out of the eight, and he wanted more! My girls and I ate the other four and that left me wishing I had made a bigger batch.
This is one recipe you definitely want to double because it is insanely delicious! The biscuits are flaky, fluffy, and perfectly salty with a hint of sweetness. I had mine with some mixed berry jam I made with all the berries I hoarded during the summer. Each bite was a pure delight!
These biscuits are awesome with butter or really anything that soothes your soul. You can even enjoy them without anything at all. My husband ate them as they are and he enjoyed every bite. These simple homemade biscuits are great for a quick breakfast and they are perfect for entertaining. Please try one when they are still warm out of the oven. The taste is epic!
- 2 cups flour + more for dusting board
- 1/2 cup butter - butter should be cold (straight from the refrigerator)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1 tablespoon butter - melted for brushing baked biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add in the butter and incorporate into dough using a pastry cutter, or by hand, until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add in the milk and mix to form a dough.
- Place on a floured board and roll to about half an inch thick.
- Cut out biscuit shapes with a knife or using a biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and brush immediately with melted butter.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: Use only cold straight-from-the-fridge butter and milk to ensure that your biscuits have the right texture.
You could substitute butter with the same quantity of shortening in this recipe.
We hope you enjoy these 30-Minute Homemade Southern Biscuits from SoFabFood Home Chef, Precious from Precious Core, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!