This Baked Strawberry Banana Chia Oatmeal is packed with fresh, healthy ingredients. So simple to make, it’s the perfect seasonal breakfast recipe!
I need to let you in on a little secret about this time of year.
It’s Strawberry Central over here! I realize it’s probably been, or is about to be, strawberry season where you live, but I’m talking just about our home garden. It’s the one crop that never fails. Several years ago, my husband asked for gift certificates to a local berry farm for his birthday. All six grandparents pitched in, and he must have planted 150-200 strawberry plants. They grew, and then they grew some more! It doesn’t matter if we’re having an off year, or a great garden year. The strawberries will grow.
They were late this year because of the torrential rains through most of May, but they are popping up right now and I couldn’t be happier about it! We used a new gardening method this year, and transplanted them from their garden beds into vertical pallets. This will keep them safer and I expect our strawberry season to last longer than usual. We have several different breeds of strawberries, and some grow right until the fall. If you’re looking for strawberry recipes, start with breakfast!
Baked Strawberry Banana Chia Oatmeal Recipe
I remember the first time I had baked oatmeal. We used to host/attend potlucks within our hospital baby group after our daughter was born, and one of the other moms in the group is a baker. She came to my house with a giant casserole dish of baked oatmeal. I fell in love on the spot! I had no idea this was a “thing”, but it’s a wonderful one. It was spring at the time, so I applauded her use of spring fruits. I think you can use any fruit/vegetable of any season and fall in love on the spot. The recipe is even fun to make!
- 1 3/4 cups + 3 tbsp old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4cup + 2 tbsp almonds, chopped (divided)
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced (divided)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 1 1/2 of cups milk
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, sliced (save 1/3 slices for the topping)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease an 8x8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the oatmeal, chia seeds, 1/4 cup of almonds, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 2/3 of the sliced banana, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Transfer the mix to the prepped baking dish and spread out.
- Pour the milk mixture evenly. Now gently bang the baking dish a couple of times on the counter top to ensure the milk mixture is evenly distributed.
- Arrange the remaining strawberry slices and banana slices on it and scatter the chocolate chips, chopped almonds, and 2 tbsp of oatmeal.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top turns a nice golden brown.
Home Chef Tip: You can drizzle some maple syrup or chocolate syrup before serving to really hit a home run with this breakfast!
We have so many celebrations happening this summer. There will be so many occasions for house guests and potluck breakfasts. I can’t wait to share our strawberries – and our baked oatmeal – with our loved ones. There is nothing like the taste of fresh strawberries from your own garden. I have to use every occasion possible to serve them fresh, or to serve them in recipes. This recipe is a winner in my family. Will you try it with yours?
We hope you enjoy this Baked Strawberry Banana Chia Oatmeal recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Tamara from Tamara Like Camera, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!