Show dad your appreciation this year when you bring him this Cheesy Bacon Chicken and Waffles in bed. The trick to great chicken and waffles is getting the batter perfect!
Growing up, Father’s Day breakfast was a spectacle. We would all scramble around the kitchen to be sure to get everything just right to serve my dad breakfast in bed. The toast was usually burnt, and we couldn’t guarantee that there wasn’t probably an OJ trail from the kitchen to the bedroom, but there was always a ton of love served up.
Raising two mini foodies, I’m usually met with lots of different ideas for my husband’s Father’s Day breakfast. When we first started dating, he had gone on a trip to California and since then, he has always raved about a delicious Chicken and Waffles breakfast he ate at the infamous Rocco’s House of Chicken & Waffles. He’s tried to find a place near home that could replicate this specialty breakfast, but to no avail.
So this year we are sharpening our kitchen skills and attempting to not only meet his expectations, but exceed them! We upped the savory factor by added bacon bits and some cheddar cheese. Who doesn’t love bacon and cheese, right? The trick to great chicken and waffles is getting the batter perfect. You can make your own waffle batter, or use your favorite store-bought brand, just make sure it’s a buttermilk waffle mix.
Cheesy Bacon Chicken and Waffles Recipe
I simply added some crunchy bacon bits (about 1/2 cup) I had cooked up earlier, and about a 1/2 cup of cheese. It was fun to stare at all of the savory little bits speckled throughout our waffles.
Tip: The cheese will help the waffle batter to expand a bit, so be sure and add a little less than you are used to in order to avoid any spills.
The chicken batter I use is homemade, and the key to making this perfectly-crispy, all-white meat chicken strip. I make sure to only use my cast iron skillet to fry these up. I let it get nice and hot while I begin to dredge the strips in organic unbleached white flour.
Tip: For really good flavor, prepare the buttermilk marinade the night before and let it sit in all of that good flavoring until the next morning, it will make for some pretty delicious stuff!
I’m proud to say we perfected this savory breakfast and even exceeded our own expectations. I simply cannot wait to see the look on my husband’s face this Father’s Day!
I will especially enjoy the walk to the bedroom with the kids as I reminisce on how many times I’ve taken this walk myself. I decided to make it a bit easier so that little hands could carry breakfast by cutting it all up and sticking it in a glass. Hopefully this prevents a syrup trail from our kitchen to the bedroom!
- 1 lb of chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 cup of pre-cooked Bacon Bits
- 1/4 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups of Buttermilk
- 2 tsp of Worcestershire
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp of Cornstarch
- 3 tbsp of Seasoned Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Garlic Salt
- 1 tbsp of Onion Powder
- Prepare your waffle batter using your favorite store-bought brand. Add bacon and cheese and whisk, then add to a hot greased waffle iron pan. Cook until golden and set aside.
- Add chicken to a zipper bag. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and Worcestershire sauce, then pour mixture over chicken in the bag. Seal the bag and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder to a brown paper bag and shake well. Add 2 tbsp of marinade to the flour and mix well until it forms crumbs. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, make sure you cover the entire chicken.
- Add 1 inch of oil to a cast iron skillet, put to medium-high heat. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Add chicken to the hot oil, cook until golden brown on each side (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken and place on paper towel to drain, then add to baking sheet and let it bake in the oven for an additional 5 - 7 minutes.
- Don't forget to butter your waffles and place 2 - 3 chicken strip on top, adding just enough pure maple syrup and enjoy!
- You can cut waffles into slices and place inside a cup / glass with chicken strips and drizzle maple syrup for a fun to-go breakfast!
Home Chef Tip: The cheese will help the waffle batter to expand a bit, so be sure and add a little less than you are used to in order to avoid any spills.
We hope you enjoy these Cheesy Bacon Chicken and Waffles from SoFabFood Contributor, Erika from Essentially Erika, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!