This low-carb, 5-Ingredient Eggplant Rollatini is a healthy comfort food that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner. This healthier classic is made with grilled eggplant slices that are filled with ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, then topped with marinara sauce.
This 5-Ingredient Eggplant Rollatini is my favorite way to enjoy eggplant all summer long. I cannot even tell how many times I have made this recipe in the last month. It’s one of the simplest and most scrumptious weeknight dinner recipes. The eggplant slices are so tender, you don’t even need a knife to cut them. They’ll just melt in your mouth. Just look at all this gooey cheese! Doesn’t it look mouth watering? As a bonus, to make this healthy comfort food, you need only five ingredients.
Why grill the eggplant first?
Grilling the eggplant for this simple, hearty dish lends flavor, aroma, and texture. Make sure the eggplant slices are sliced perfectly, neither too thin nor too thick. I grilled them in my grilling pan, but you may bake them too in the oven for 15 minutes or until tender at 400ºF if you don’t have one available.
What’s in the middle?
The stuffing is made with three types of cheeses; ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. Dollop the cheese filling onto the lower portion of the eggplant slice, spread it, and roll the eggplant. Place it seam side down on the bed of marinara sauce, sprinkle some cheese, and bake them. Nothing like simple, cheap healthy meals!
Give this recipe a try. Once your family gets a taste, they’re going to ask for it again and again!
- 1 large eggplant (I got 9 slices from 1)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Take eggplant, slice them neither too thick nor too thin; around 1/8 inch thick.
- Apply little bit oil on grill pan.
- Grill all the slices until tender from both side. Place on a plate, let them cool down completely, and set them aside.
- Place ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven 375ºF.
- Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Now on a working surface, take a slice of grilled eggplant, spread a thin layer of cheese mixture onto each slice of eggplant, roll up tightly. and place seam side down in a baking pan. Repeat the same process with remaining slices.
- Top it up with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Garnish with some basil if you wish.
- Serve with garlic bread, optional.
Home Chef Tip: I haven't added salt in this dish because all the cheese and sauce have enough salt, but you may add if you wish. You can sprinkle some Chili flakes on top to give a little spicy punch. You may bake the eggplant at 400ºF for 15 minutes instead of grilling them.
Love this recipe? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this simple 5-Ingredient Eggplant Rollatini recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Dhwani from Cooking Carnival, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Vegetarian Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!