Ditch the carbs while you enjoy all of the classic flavors of America’s favorite comfort food. This Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is a healthier classic that’s perfect for the colder months!
Sometimes, I just want comfort food. Ok. Usually. I usually want comfort food. Lightening up the usual culprits of culinary comfort is a skill I’ve been working on. No cheat days for me! This Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a healthier classic that is now a weeknight staple in my home during fall and winter!
Chicken Pot Pie has always been one of my favorite dinners when the weather starts changing. The “pie” part is definitely one of my favorite elements of the meal, but it was definitely time to lighten it up and make it into a steaming bowl of nourishing soup. (Hooray, it’s low carb!)
The hint of spices definitely gives the soup a kick often needed for stuffy noses and congestion. I tend to make my soups content heavy. In this case, I load up on the chicken to make this soup into a completely substantial meal with enough vegetable intake, and plenty of protein. A bowlful will be enough to keep you away from the fridge at midnight.
Fun Facts about Chicken Pot Pie
- Many food historians have determined that Greece and Rome were the initial creators of the concept of meat eaten within a pie.
- In Rome (many, many years ago), deer meat was the chosen filling for the pie.
- As settlers moved to the Americas, they brought their versions of meat pot pie with them and the popularity of the dish skyrocketed.
- Now, the Pennsylvania Dutch community is the hub and expertise of all things chicken pot pie (and other pot pies) in the United States!
Let’s get into the amazing, fresh ingredients in this soup. Lightly seasoned shredded chicken, sprigs of smoky thyme, corn, peas, carrots, fresh milk, and chicken broth. With the exception of spices and whole wheat flour, that’s it! You’ve probably got everything you need for this bowl of nostalgia in your pantry right now!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 cups mixed, fresh or thawed frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and beans)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Fill a pot with water and set it over medium-high heat. Place both chicken breasts in the water, completely submerged. Cook through about 10 minutes, intermittently turning the chicken with tongs.
- Drain the water and shred the chicken completely. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and garlic. Cook until the garlic has slightly browned and the onion has become translucent (1-2 minutes). Add in one sprig of thyme so that the oil is flavored.
- Add in the vegetables and sauté for a few minutes until the corn and carrots have browned. Remove the sprig of thyme.
- Reduce the heat and add in the flour and stir to coat all the vegetables in the flour. Pour in chicken stock and milk. Add in the remainder of the ingredients (spices), the shredded chicken, and the remaining sprig of thyme and then stir and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Soup will thicken. Remove thyme before serving.
- Garnish with extra pepper, and serve with crackers!
Home Chef Tip: To get this soup on the table even quicker, you can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store!
We hope you love this Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Ritika from R&M Cooks, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Soup Section to find more comfort food ideas to warm you up on a cold day. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!