Keep the joy of the holidays alive all winter long when you make this Comforting Gingerbread Oatmeal. It’s a better-for-you breakfast your whole family will enjoy!
Last night I went to sleep thinking the kitchen fairies would clean up my messy kitchen, but I woke up this morning and it’s still a mess! Some mornings I wish I had Eleven’s mind control powers so I could simply nod and furrow my brows and the broom and duster would do their thing! Every new year, I resolve to get in the habit of doing my dirty dishes before I hit the hay, but some days I am too tired and feel it would be better to tackle in the morning…only to be faced with all sorts of next-day-cleaning conundrums.
Currently, I have bowls and pans with dried up goop from baking Chocolate Peppermint Cherry Cookies and Mincemeat Apple Pies. I’m sitting here this cold morning wondering what I should tackle first – and then my stomach rumbles and I realize that I NEED some breakfast!
Comforting Gingerbread Oatmeal Recipe
On cold winter mornings, a steaming bowl of creamy oatmeal works wonders to get the chill out of my old bones and gets me to tackling all those dirty dishes from the night before. This comforting Gingerbread Oatmeal was exactly what I needed. Since I’m still trying to get over my holiday over indulgences, I figured I’d keep this oatmeal on the lighter side.
For this oatmeal, I used 1% lactose free milk (shout out to all my fellow lactose intolerant friends), some cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and blackstrap molasses, then sweetened it with a tad bit of brown sugar. The result was a comforting bowl of oatmeal to start off my day and motivate me to tackle that mound of dishes!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup low fat (1 %) lactose free milk (or milk of your choice)
- couple pinches of cardamom powder
- couple pinches of clove powder
- couple pinches of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (according to your preference)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or according to taste)
- drizzle of blackstrap molasses
- pecan pieces for topping (optional)
- Add the oatmeal to a pan with the milk and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, lower to medium heat and add in cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, and salt, and stir for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and stir in brown sugar.
- Drizzle with blackstrap molasses and pecan pieces and enjoy.
Home Chef Tip: Don't like pecans? Top with walnuts instead, or you can omit them from the recipe entirely if you prefer.
We hope you enjoy this Gingerbread Oatmeal recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Shashi from Savory Spin, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!