Resolve to eat healthier in the new year with this simple, budget-friendly meal idea. Roasted chicken and kale are the stars of this Winter Detox Kale Chicken Salad that’s topped with dried cranberries and Parmesan toasted pecans.
The holidays are here and in-between all of the casseroles and desserts, we could probably all use a little detox. What better way to detox from all of that champagne and whatever was eaten after all of that champagne, than this Winter Detox Kale Chicken Salad? Crisp, tender kale is shredded super fine and topped with dried cranberries (my favorite) and a pecan and parmesan cheese mixture. Add roasted chicken for a boost of protein and toss in a garlic infused lemon dressing. It’s a realistic approach to healthy eating that is totally doable, even on those jam-packed days!
Why not enjoy a healthy, budget-friendly meal at home?
One of my resolutions this year has been to stop eating so much take-out. When I tell people this, they are usually shocked I eat take-out, let alone often. What can I say? I’m a busy human, just like you! That’s why this year I’m all about simplifying recipes so that I can eat healthy at home.
Cook the chicken while you’re getting ready for work in the morning and place it in the fridge for when you get home. If you get up early and have a lot of time, this entire recipe can be made, just add the salad dressing later. If not, do half in the morning and half when you get home, or all when you get home. It’s that simple.
- 2 medium bunches de-stemmed kale, finely chopped (8 cups)
- 2 large chicken breasts, roasted and shredded
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 handfuls dried sweetened cranberries, for garnish
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1.5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches fine grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Spread the pecans onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Finely chop the kale leaves. Wash the kale and spin dry. Place dried kale into a large bowl. Top with shredded chicken.
- For the dressing: Add minced garlic to a small bowl. Now add the lemon, oil, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Pour the dressing onto the kale and mix it into the kale with your hands.
- For the pecan and Parmesan mixture: Finely chop the pecans and place in a bowl. Now add in the Parmesan cheese, oil, and salt and mix.
Home Chef Tip: To make this meal even quicker, use a precooked rotisserie chicken from your local market.
We hope you enjoy this Winter Detox Kale Chicken Salad from SoFabFood Home Chef, Molly from The Preppy Hostess. If you love this budget-friendly meal, be sure to visit our Salad Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!