Love a hearty appetizer, but you’re trying to follow a plant-based diet? These Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls are for you. These small bites use “mushroom sausage” instead of pork for a vegetarian appetizer that will be loved by all!
Your new favorite vegetarian appetizer!
If you love traditional sausage rolls, but eating healthy is high on your priority list, you’re going to love these Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls! These small bites are a hearty appetizer with the consistency of a classic favorite, but lighter in fat and calories because they use mushroom sausage instead of pork.
Perfect for your plant-based diet!
I only use fresh ingredients because nothing tastes as good as fresh mushrooms and celery. These two ingredients are stir fried with other fresh ingredients and then turned into paste. The paste is so easy to spread on the puff pastry.
How do you get that meaty flavor in these small bites?
I went with cooked lentils in this recipe and I am so glad that I did. They added a meaty, dense texture that will appeal to any crowd. If you’re looking for an appetizer for your upcoming holiday gatherings and beyond, look no further because this is the recipe for you!
- 2 puff pastry
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 3 cups of baby bella mushrooms (washed and chopped)
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup of cooked lentils
- 2 tsp of flax meal
- 1/4 cup of a lemon
- 1/4 stick of vegan butter
- 2 tbsp of black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seeds
- In a pan, add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and a 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds. Roast them on low heat for 40 seconds and transfer to a food processor.
- Blend on low speed until they are turn powdery. Leave them in the blender.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add 3 cloves of garlic (crushed) and 1/4 cup of chopped onions to the oil.
- When they begin to caramelize, add 3 cups of chopped brown mushrooms.
- Add 1 cup of chopped celery.
- Mix well and let them cook until they are half their original size. Add 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
- Mix well and then transfer the mushroom mixture to the blender.
- Blend on low speed for about 20 seconds. Then add 1/4 cup of cooked lentils.
- Blend again for a few seconds. Add 2 teaspoons of flax meal.
- Add juice of a 1/4 of a lemon. Blend until the mixture has turned to paste.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and set it on a flour-sprinkled surface. The sheet is divided into 3 parts, so, place the mixture on the right side of each part. Leave a little room on the edge for sealing.
- Cut the puff pastry into 3 parts.
- Melt 1/4 stick of vegan butter and brush the edges of each part.
- Fold over the stuffing and gently seal the edges.
- Butter the tops of these three rolls.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of black sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds.
- Top this mixture on the rolls.
- Lightly spray a baking tray and place these rolls on it. Cut them into 2" pieces. Repeat the stuffing process for the 2nd puff pastry sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops have browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Home Chef Tip: Feel free to add your favorite spices to the vegan mushroom sausage mixture to flavor it up to suit your tastes!
Love these small bites? Pin the recipe for later!
We hope you enjoy this Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Rini from Healing Tomato, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Appetizer Section. For daily recipe inspiration, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!