Perfect for busy mornings, these Mexican Breakfast Hot Pockets are a great on-the-go breakfast. Skip the costly drive in and opt for this budget-friendly breakfast with chorizo, eggs, black beans, cheese, and sour cream. Meal prep this make-ahead breakfast on Sunday, and enjoy a hot breakfast all week long.
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, but it’s often skipped because of a lack of time. These satisfying Mexican Breakfast Hot Pockets can be made ahead of time and baked in twenty minutes. Warm and fluffy puff pastry is loaded with a mixture of chorizo, eggs, black beans, pepper jack cheese, and sour cream. It’s a flavorful breakfast everyone will love. Handheld hot pockets are portable and can be enjoyed as an on-the-go breakfast.
A make-ahead breakfast to make mornings smooth!
Assembling these breakfast hot pockets is easy! Allow frozen puff pastry to thaw on the counter while you make the filling. Add chorizo to a medium sized skillet and cook it over a low to medium heat. When the chorizo is almost done, crack the eggs into the skillet and fold in the black beans. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in sour cream. By now, your puff pastry should be ready to cut and be stuffed. Add a slice of pepper jack cheese to each piece of pastry and a heaping tablespoon of filling. Fold over and seal with a fork.
Refrigerate the hot pockets overnight or wrap them in foil and stick them in the freezer to enjoy at a later date. The next time you want a hot and hearty breakfast, just pop these in the oven! They are perfect for when unexpected guests come into town or busy week days. This recipe makes eight hot pockets, but you can easily double it. Make a double batch during meal prep so you have some for the next morning and a batch for freezing for later!
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry (17.3 oz)
- 9 oz chorizo (I like Cacique pork chorizo)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream for dipping
- Sliced avocados
- Allow the puff pastry sheets to thaw on the counter before cutting each sheet into fours, diagonally.
- Add chorizo to a skillet and cook on a low heat. Once the chorizo is almost cooked, crack eggs, and mix in. Fold in black beans and remove mixture from heat.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add one slice of pepper jack cheese to each piece of puff pastry. Add about a tablespoon of the mixture to each piece of puff pastry, spread and fold over like a triangle. Seal carefully with a fork.
- Refrigerate overnight and bake the next day - heat the oven to 325ºF and bake for 20 minutes.
- Freeze and bake later: Heat the oven to 325ºF and bake for about 30 minutes.
Chef Home Tip: Brush the puff pastry with an egg wash (beat one egg) before baking for a golden brown finish.
Give this tasty recipe a try and feel free to get creative with it. Substitutions are allowed and encouraged. For a fantastic vegetarian option, try increasing the amount of beans, eggs, and cheese, and add in additional vegetables. Chopped onion, red pepper, and corn are also great add ins.
We hope you enjoy these Mexican Breakfast Hot Pockets from SoFabFood Home Chef, Raquel from Horses and Heels. If you love this easy make-ahead breakfast, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!