Celebrate sunny days ahead with this vibrant Spring Vegetable Flatbread with Basil Pesto. Seasonal veggies, and dollops of cheese atop glorious flatbread for a simple meal your family will love it!
Spring Vegetable Flatbread with Basil Pesto
I know that January 1st typically marks the start of clean eating and healthy living, but for me I really feel it in the Spring. When the weather is beautiful and bright, I want nothing more than the food on my plate to reflect just that. Gimme color! Gimme vibrancy! Gimme flavor!
Of course salads are the obvious choice for healthy Spring recipes. I’ll never tire of the never-ending combinations of salad bowls and vinaigrettes. Every now and then, though, I like to switch things up a bit with my food. For all those times when I’m feeling fancy and craving variety, I like to spruce up my salads and turn them into something with a little more pizzazz, you know?
Enter scene: Spring Vegetable Flatbread. It’s easy to prep, topped with tons of seasonal vegetables, and perfect for light dinners and lunches. This flatbread takes less than 20 minutes to throw together, making it the perfect thing for weeknight dinners. Fast, easy, and delicious! Your family will love it!
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large flatbread or naan bread, or 2 medium sized
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 5 large asparagus spears, ends trimmed and peeled with a vegetable peeler
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and cheese. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in the olive oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the shaved asparagus, radishes, peas, and lemon zest in a small bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Spoon the pesto evenly over the flatbreads. Scatter the veggies over the pesto.
- Then dollop small spoonfuls of ricotta over the top.
- Place the flatbread on a large baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the flatbread is crisp. Remove from the oven, serve immediately, and enjoy!
We hope you love this Spring Vegetable Flatbread with Basil Pesto from SoFabFood Contributor, Sarah from A Saucy Kitchen as much as we do. If you love this quick weeknight meal, be sure to stop by our Vegetarian Section so that you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!