Fresh picked blackberries, mixed with a little balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, melted goat cheese, and garden veggies come together to create this unique Blackberry Balsamic Pizza with Garden Veggies.
Fresh picked blackberries, mixed with a little balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, and melted goat cheese come together to create one of the most perfect food pairings I have ever tasted! Add in your favorite garden veggies and you will have a flavor explosion! Once you try this simple farm to table blackberry balsamic pizza sauce, you may be wondering why people ever used tomatoes in pizza sauce in the first place.
You can use any pizza crust you’d like to for this recipe. Since I eat a gluten-free, low carb diet, I use my favorite grain-free pizza crust recipe (as pictured in the photos). But my husband loves his wheat based pizza dough, so I make this same pizza for him using a store bought pizza dough, the kind you buy fresh in the deli section of the grocery store. I then top this pizza with my favorite garden fresh veggies, which include sliced zucchini, yellow squash, fennel, green beans, red onion, and a few sliced figs and blackberries for an extra punch of flavor. I then sprinkle on the goat cheese (you can use any cheese you’d like, including vegan dairy-free cheese), and simply bake for about 12 minutes at 425ºF.
Below is a photo of my grain-free, par-baked pizza crust topped with the blackberry balsamic pizza sauce, veggies, and goat cheese, before it heads back into the oven.
While the pizza is baking I slice up the remaining veggies and toss together a fresh salad. Since I’ve already got the balsamic vinegar out, I make a simple balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing, which I have included a recipe for in the recipe notes below. And dinner is served!
- Blackberry Balsamic Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- optional: a spoonful of honey (or other sweetener)
- Garden Veggie Pizza
- 1 pizza crust (I use my favorite low carb, gluten free pizza crust recipe)
- You choice of garden veggies for topping: sliced zucchini, yellow squash, diced red onion, asparagus, blanched green beans, sliced fennel, carrot ribbons, sliced figs, blackberries, fresh basil
- ⅓ cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- ⅔ cup goat milk mozzarella, shredded
- This blackberry sauce recipe creates enough pizza sauce for one large pizza, or two medium pizzas.
- If using fresh blackberries blend all ingredients together in a blender, then pour blended sauce into a small sauce pan and warm up over medium low heat on the stove top for 5 to 8 minutes. If using frozen blackberries, heat the berries up in a small sauce pan first, then blend in remaining sauce ingredients, and return to stove top to simmer over medium low for 5 to 8 minutes. Taste test your sauce, add a little sweetener or increase any of the dried herbs until you have the perfect balance of flavors.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prepare pizza crust. If using my gluten free pizza crust recipe, pre-bake pizza crust for 8 minutes at 425ºF.
- Spoon blackberry balsamic pizza sauce onto pizza dough. Top with garden veggies, then sprinkle on goat cheese.
- Bake at 425ºF for 10 to 14 minutes, until cheese starts to bubble and pizza toppings are nicely cooked. If needed, set the pizza under the oven broiler for a few extra minutes to melt the cheese a little more after initial baking.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve.
Home Chef Tip: Pair this pizza with a fresh garden salad for a full dinner. Chop up any remaining garden veggies, toss with salad greens, and mix up a simple balsamic vinaigrette using: 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, ½ teaspoon mustard, and a little sea salt and black pepper.
We hope you love this Blackberry Balsamic Pizza with Garden Veggies from SoFabFood Contributor, Andrea from Forest and Fauna as much as we do. If you love this healthy and delicious recipe, be sure to stop by our Vegetarian Section so that you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!