This Spiced Tofu Veggie Buddha Bowl is super easy to pull together and an array of spices ensure that this bowl is super tasty too. This mix of beautiful colors and vibrant flavors is divine!
Tofu and veggie bowls happen to make their way onto our dinner table more often than any other meal choices. They are super easy to make and you can actually use whatever you may have tucked away in those dark recesses of your fridge! Since my daughter went vegetarian, I have been trying my best to come up with more plant-based dinner options that we both can enjoy and tofu seems to be a wonderful stand in that we both love.
I know sometimes tofu can get a bland rap – and I understand. Heck, I’d even agree, but I’ve come to see that tofu does such a fantastic job of absorbing all the flavors it comes into contact with. My daughter and I have licked our plates clean after dinners of tomato based tofu curry, spiced tofu and cabbage, and even a more exotic date and tamarind tofu!
Spiced Tofu Veggie Buddha Bowl Recipe
While that date and tamarind tofu doesn’t happen too often in our house as I’m always running out of date and tamarind paste, spiced tofu and veggies are such a common occurrence! I usually place cubed tofu pieces in a pan with some oil and spices like coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, and a smidge of chili, and let them pan fry for about 4-5 minutes so that a nice browning happens on the tofu cubes. I usually shake them up, and, using a large spatula, manage to flip some pieces so they can brown up on the other sides too.
Somedays I cut up some fresh veggies and add them to the bowl along with leftover quinoa and maybe some nuts. For this bowl, I lightly sautéed up some peppers, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a bit of coriander and cumin and added them to the bowl along with some corn and avocado. Now, I would love to know, what would you add to this tofu and veggie combo?
- 1 block firm tofu - drained well and cubed
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (these are optional, but I found them at Walmart)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- *Sesame seeds, avocado, corn, cilantro to be served on the side/for garnish
- Add the oil to a pan and then the tofu.
- Sprinkle the tofu with coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, chili powder, mustard seeds, caraway seeds and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip the tofu and let cook another 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the veggies.
- Add the oil to a pan and then add in all the red bell peppers, green bell peppers, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic to a pan.
- Sprinkle on the coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper, and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The veggies will be quite crisp - if you'd like them less so, then sauté about 7-10 minutes total.
- Serve veggies with tofu, avocado, and corn. Drizzle with sesame seeds, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: Experiment with the spices to make the tofu unique for all of your different dishes!
We hope you love this Spiced Tofu Veggie Buddha Bowl recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Shashi from Savory Spin, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Vegetarian Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!