Gather with friends to make these super simple California Sushi Rolls instead of going out for dinner. Rice, imitation crab, avocado, carrots, and cucumber all wrapped in a nori roll.
Who doesn’t love to go out with friends for sushi? Unfortunately, dining out for sushi can be expensive and in some areas quality restaurants can be hard to find. So why not make your own sushi at home instead? People are often surprised to learn how easy it is to make sushi yourself. All you need are a few basic ingredients, the right supplies, and you will be a sushi-making pro in no time. Today I am going to show you how to make a California roll. It’s a basic sushi roll and a great one for beginners. These California Sushi Rolls contain nori, rice, imitation crab, cucumber or carrot, and avocado.
Most of the ingredients can be found in the Asian food section of your local grocery store. If you can’t find them there, you may have to make a trip to your local Asian foods specialty store.
Super Simple California Sushi Rolls Recipe
California rolls use imitation crab as one of the main ingredients. Imitation crab doesn’t usually contain any actual crab. Instead white fish, such as Alaskan Pollack, is used and crab flavoring is added. Jasmine rice, avocado, vegetables, and toasted sesame seeds are rolled up into sheets of seaweed called Nori. Nori is the Japanese name for a type of edible seaweed. The seaweed is shredded and formed into sheets in a process that resembles paper making.
To make sushi at home, you will need a bamboo mat for rolling the sushi. Rolling the sushi is the most difficult part of assembling the California rolls. Your first few rolls might come out looking a little lopsided, but practice makes perfect. The more you roll, the better you will get! Why not try making these small bites for your next dinner party? Sushi makes a great finger food or appetizer for your guests and with this recipe, you can make large quantities very inexpensively.
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 6 sheets of nori
- 2 tbsp of roasted sesame seeds
- 1 16-ounce package of imitation crab meat
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 medium avocado
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Combine 2 cups of rice with 2 cups of water. Dissolve the sugar in the rice mixture. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat until rice is cooked.
- Let rice cool and stir in the rice vinegar.
- Lay out your bamboo mat and cover it with a piece of plastic wrap. Place a sheet of nori on the mat and cover it with a thin layer of the rice.
- Sprinkle roasted sesame seeds over the rice.
- Flip the rice covered nori over and add the imitation crab meat, avocado, and vegetables in a row. Be careful not to overfill.
- Roll the sushi up using firm pressure on the mat.
- Unroll the mat and cut the sushi into half inch slices with a sharp knife.
- Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.
Home Chef Tip: When applying the cooked rice to the nori, keep a bowl of water handy to dip your fingers into. Keeping your hands moist will prevent the rice from sticking to your fingers while you assemble the rolls.
We hope you love these super simple California Sushi Rolls from SoFabFood Contributor, Adrienne from Crafty Little Gnome, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Dinner section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!