Cozy up on a chilly evening with this homemade Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere Grilled Cheese Ham Sandwich. This simple deli-style meal is the perfect comfort food for lunch or dinner.
What’s your favorite fall comfort food?
There is nothing more comforting than a giant bowl of homemade soup. Tonight I am cozying up with one of my favorites, a hearty Pumpkin Soup with a Gruyere Grilled Cheese Ham Sandwich. It’s the ultimate satisfying dinner during these chilly fall nights. I topped the soup with a swirl of sour cream, and crunchy pumpkin seeds. What is your favorite soup and sandwich combo this time of year?
One reason I love soup for dinner is, because after a long day at work, it’s ridiculously easy to heat up a bowl of soup and make a side sandwich to go with it. On Sunday, I’ll make a giant pot of soup (sometimes I’ll double the recipe and freeze it) and I just re-heat it throughout the week. In case you didn’t know, soups freeze beautifully and it’s a handy thing to have in your freezer when you’re having one of those “what’s for dinner” moments.
Add a sandwich for a deli-style meal!
I always pair the soup with a small sandwich to make the meal more satisfying. A grilled cheese sandwich is my go-to, and is so delicious with the pumpkin soup. You can use whatever style bread you have at home, but my favorite is a crusty baguette. I fill the sandwich with sharp gruyere, ham, and a little bit of honey mustard. If you’re one of those people who like to dip your sandwich in your soup, like me, you’ll love this cozy combo.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- French bread, sliced down the center
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 6 oz Gruyere cheese, sliced
- 2 tbsp honey mustard
- 4 slices black forest ham
- Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Purée the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender.
- Return to pan, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in heavy cream. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and ground black pepper if desired.
- On the inside of the bread, layer the cheese slices and the ham slices. Spread the top piece of bread with the honey mustard.
- Place the sandwiches in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwiches over and cook the other side until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve the sandwiches warm.
Home Chef Tip: If you don't like Gruyere cheese, you can substitute it for cheddar, monterrey jack, or any other cheese that you prefer.
We hope you enjoy this homemade Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere Grilled Cheese Ham Sandwich from SoFabFood Home Chef, Molly from The Preppy Hostess. If you love this deli-style meal, be sure to visit our Soup and Sandwich Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!