Recreate a deli favorite at home with this Turkey Asiago Bagel paired with Black Bean Soup. This budget-friendly, deli-style meal features smokey, cheesy, slightly spicy, and bold flavors!
Create a deli-style meal at home!
One of my all-time favorite sandwiches ever came from a little deli in the town where I went to college. It is sadly long gone now, but I still make my own version of this fresh, delicious bagel sandwich. This Turkey Asiago Bagel Sandwich starts with an asiago bagel topped with mesquite smoked turkey breast, crunchy greens, tomato, and spicy cream cheese spread that I make with a blend of spices. To make a pair matched in deli heaven, I serve it along side a cup of Black Bean Soup. This is such a simple and yummy combo that features smokey, cheesy, slightly spicy, and delicious flavors!
Where can I find an asiago bagel?
I create my own asiago bagels by picking up some plain bagels and shredded asiago cheese. Just brush the top of the bagel with olive oil and then pile on the shredded cheese and place it in the oven on broil for about four minutes. I sprinkle a little on the bottom half of the bagel too.
Don’t forget the black bean soup!
With the bagels complete, I start the hearty black bean soup. It’s so easy. Dried black beans can be used, but I almost always start with canned black beans because with my crazy schedule, you just can’t beat a meal that can be made relatively quickly.
For me, the best part is packing all the goodies into the sandwich. I layer mesquite smoked turkey breast, sliced tomatoes (I use cherry tomatoes because I have them growing right in my backyard), and spread a generous amount of the spiced cream cheese to top it off.
The sandwich that inspired this creation contained a heap of alfalfa sprouts. Turns out that sprouts can harbor some dangerous bacteria and aren’t easy to come by any more. I chose a pre-shredded mix of cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and kale to provide that freshness and perfect crunch.
Serve the sandwich and soup together for a perfect deli-style meal. A dollop of sour cream and avocado slices to garnish the soup make it even that much better!
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 15-oz cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Sour cream, garnish
- Sliced avocado, garnish
- Spicy Cream Cheese Spread
- Mesquite smoked deli turkey
- Shredded kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts (available prepackaged)
- Add seasonings to cream cheese and sour cream.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add olive oil to soup pot.
- Stir in chopped onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, beans, and seasonings.
- Drop in a bay leaf and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve warm with sour cream and avocado slices.
- Brush olive oil on top of a plain bagel.
- Add cheese to top half of bagel and some on the inside of the bottom half.
- Broil in oven for approximately 4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Layer on mesquite smoked turkey, sliced tomatoes, shredded kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, or favorite greens.
- Spread on a genius amount of spicy cream cheese spread to finish.
Home Chef Tip: 2 tbsp packaged taco seasoning can be used as a shortcut substitute to flavor the cream cheese spread.
We hope you enjoy this Turkey Asiago Bagel with Black Bean Soup from SoFabFood Home Chef, Charlie from Charlie Mae. If you love this deli favorite, be sure to visit our Lunch Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!