Learn to make these Roasted Veggie Tacos with Avocado Crema like a pro to impress dinner guests. This cheap healthy meal is a vegetarian dinner full of vibrant colors and flavors.
When it to comes to dinner, I’m a big fan of quick and easy recipes. In our house, we’re always on the go, so we need recipes that are simple to put on the table, relatively healthy, and don’t break the bank. Sound like a tall order? Think again!
Make this cheap healthy meal for Taco Tuesday!
Tacos have become one of our favorite meals because we can use what we already have in the pantry and refrigerator to create an epic meal. These easy Roasted Veggie Tacos are a great vegetarian dinner and use up whatever leftover veggies you have lying around. Who said Taco Tuesday can’t be healthy?
At its simplest form, all you need for this recipe is five ingredients: Your favorite vegetables, taco seasoning, corn tortillas, avocado, and lime. I’m going to break it down for you to add just a few more seasonings, my favorite veggie blend, and a delicious avocado crema. This recipe is meant to be played around with using whatever your favorite vegetables are or what you have on hand. Tacos make a great inexpensive dinner option and are pretty healthy since we’re not adding loads of cheese or sour cream on top.
Keep things healthy with avocado crema!
My avocado crema is all you need to bring this taco dish together. It’s creamy, without all the dairy! In fact, this whole meal is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan! Just be sure to use gluten-free corn tortillas.
Other Vegetables to Try
I used zucchini, yellow squash, corn, bell pepper, onion, and sweet potato in this recipe. However, there are so many vegetables that would be great in these tacos. Some of my favorites are butternut squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, tomatoes, and cabbage. Get creative and add some of your favorites!
Next time taco night rolls around, think of these easy roasted veggie tacos. Stuff corn tortillas with your favorite roasted vegetables and top with a creamy avocado sauce. There’s so much flavor, you won’t even miss the meat! Dinner can be on the table in under 30 minutes making it a great weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 zucchini, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 yellow squash, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1/2 red onion, sliced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 red bell pepper, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 1 small sweet potato, diced, about 1 cup
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 10-12 gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1 lime, juiced - about 2 tbsp
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Add chopped zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, bell pepper, corn, and sweet potato to the baking sheet.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix to cover vegetables completely.
- If not all of the vegetables are covered with oil, add additional tablespoon of oil.
- Spread vegetables evenly on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven at 425ºF for 25-30 minutes, mixing half way through, until vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make the avocado crema.
- Add avocado flesh, lime juice, cilantro, water, avocado oil, and salt to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust any lime, salt, or water as needed to suit your preference.
- Once the vegetables are ready, prepare your tortillas. You can warm the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds, but I prefer to either place them in the already hot oven, straight on the rack, for 3-4 minutes or place them over a gas burner to brown the edges.
- Top the tortillas with vegetables and a drizzle of the avocado crema.
Chef Tip: This is a great recipe for meal prep, too. Just roast your vegetables ahead of time and reheat with the taco shells.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Veggie Tacos:
- Cut all of your vegetables into bite-sized pieces so that they cook in a reasonable amount of time. Vegetables like sweet potatoes take longer to cook through, so cut those smaller than vegetables like zucchini.
- Depending on the veggies you’re using, you’ll want to keep an eye on the oven. Some cook quicker than others!
- I find it’s easier to make the avocado crema in a food processor, but a blender works too in a pinch.
- To get that burnt edge look (and taste!) on the tortillas, place the tortilla directly on the burner of your gas stove. Heat for 45 seconds and then flip over. Be careful as flames are present and be sure not to burn your tortillas!
We hope you love these easy Roasted Veggie Tacos from SoFabFood Home Chef, Megan from A Dash of Megnut, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this cheap healthy meal, you can find more like it by visiting our Vegetarian Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!