These Easy Fried Caramel Banana Wontons are a fun take on typical wontons that Bananas Foster fans are sure to love! Don’t let “wontons” intimidate you. This caramel banana filled mini dessert is actually easy to make! This updated take on a classic dessert favorite is a 15-minute recipe perfect for entertaining.
Wontons: The perfect mini dessert for entertaining!
Let me start by saying I’ve eaten my fair share of delicious fried wontons, but I’ve never had the pleasure of making them myself before. After making my first batch of these Bananas Foster inspired wontons at home, I’m thrilled to say I’ll be making many more! When they’re served to you in a restaurant, they come off somewhat intimidating when, in fact, they’re quite easy to make with just a few ingredients. I did some searching at my usual grocery stores and learned that the only place that I could trust to find wonton wrappers was my local Japanese grocery store. Keep Asian supermarkets in mind when sourcing your ingredients.
Preparing and Frying your Banana Wontons:
I love banana and caramel together. They combine to make these delicious dessert wontons reminiscent of Bananas Foster. The only thing missing is the ice cream! Inside of each mini dessert wonton is a slice of banana and a dollop of caramel sauce. Each one is fried until golden and then sprinkled with cinnamon (and a little powdered sugar). I took my first bite while they were still warm, and they were best when fresh!
My best tip for frying wontons (and other things for that matter) is to wait to cook anything until the oil is about 350ºF. This helps to ensure you get the right crispiness and a golden brown color. After all, the crunch is the best part!
Modernize your favorite classic dessert!
This Easy Fried Caramel Banana Wontons recipe is perfect if you love the taste of Bananas Foster and want to try a fun and creative take on the classic dessert. Their mini size makes them perfect for entertaining!
- 12-15 wonton wrappers
- 1 banana
- Caramel sauce
- 1 egg white
- Ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil
- Slice a banana into 1/4" slices
- Lay out the wonton wrappers. Place 1 slice of banana in each wonton wrapper and top with a small amount of caramel.
- Lightly beat the egg white and brush around the edges of the wrappers.
- Fold the corners together and press, creating a triangle shape.
- Fill a tall skillet with about 1" of vegetable oil. Heat over med-high heat until the oil reaches about 350ºF on a candy thermometer.
- Once hot, drop in up to 3 wontons at a time and fry 15-30 seconds on each side until golden.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle with ground cinnamon while still wet from the oil.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar if desired.
Home Chef Tip: Want to add more flavor? Try a small dollop of peanut butter for a bigger explosion of flavor!
We hope you love this Fried Caramel Banana Wontons recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our dessert section. For weekly recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!