This Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp delivers crispy, tasty shrimp that’s healthier than the popular classic, fried coconut shrimp, and it’s ready in 10 minutes or less. Serve with Sweet Chili Apricot Sauce for a simple appetizer or with a salad for an easy weeknight meal.
When my husband and I got our air fryer last year, I initially didn’t see the point. Why do we need another gadget? There we were in the middle of Walmart having a low-key debate about air fryers. My husband wanted crispy fried foods made without the grease. I, on the other hand, didn’t see it as something we would ever use.
BOY, WAS I WRONG!
My husband won that debate and I have become such a fan of air frying! We have made just about everything from meals to snacks in our air fryer. Not only does it make food crispy without frying in oil, but it’s a major time saver, as well! I don’t think I’ve cooked anything in our air fryer over 15 minutes.
Quick and crispy shrimp every single time!
One of the first things I ever made in our air fryer was air fried shrimp. It was so quick and easy to make them! They were perfectly cooked on the inside and the breading was crispy on the outside. Cooking with the air fryer is like that. Every single time!
I recently decided to make easy Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp. If you like traditional fried coconut shrimp, you’ll love this too! Coconut shrimp has a subtle sweetness to it and it’s full of crunch. Serve with a salad and dinner is done!
The coconut breading is made with a simple combination of Panko bread crumbs, toasted coconut, and seasonings. Dip the shrimp in egg, then the breading, and then dip and bread once more. Once the shrimp are done cooking, serve them with a two-ingredient Sweet Chili Apricot Sauce for dipping!
- 12 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 3 tbsp apricot fruit spread or preserves
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF.
- Pat the shrimp dry and set aside.
- Crack two eggs into a small bowl and gently beat them. Set aside.
- Add the shredded coconut to a small skillet and toast over medium-low heat, just until the coconut starts to turn brown. Remove from heat.
- In another bowl, mix the coconut, Panko bread crumbs, and garlic powder together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Begin by dipping the shrimp into the egg. Then, coat the shrimp in the coconut and Panko mixture. Dip in egg and breading once more.
- Place the shrimp evenly into the air fryer basket. Work in batches, if necessary. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through and the breading has turned golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir to combine the sweet chili sauce and apricot spread. If the chili sauce is too spicy for you, add 1/2 tsp or less.
- Serve with the air fried coconut shrimp for dipping.
Home Chef Tip: Check on the shrimp about halfway through cooking to make sure the breading is golden brown, not burning. Also, if you need to work in batches, start by cooking the shrimp for 10 minutes. Then, decrease the time to 8 minutes or less for the next batches.
Air frying allows you to enjoy healthier versions of your favorite foods, like coconut shrimp. This recipe has a little sweetness, a slightly spicy kick (thanks to the dipping sauce), and a whole lot of crunch without the oil or grease!
For more air fryer recipes – from snacks, to sides, and entrées – check out the air fryer section of my blog!
We hope you enjoy this Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jessica from Living La Vida Holoka, as much as we do. If you love this easy appetizer, stop by our Shrimp Recipe Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!