This Hearty Pumpkin Shell Beef Stew recipe combines the best of all things fall. A classic beef stew is served up in pumpkin shell bowls for a fantastic presentation and a satisfyingly delicious meal!
Whoever knew that the topic of pumpkin foods would stir such debates? Everyone seems to have an opinion on Pumpkin Spice food. While I admit they take it a bit too far at times, I appreciate that little touch of magic you feel when you sip your first pumpkin-spiced hot drink of the season. What makes me most pro-pumpkin food is the inclusion of actual pumpkin in my food. Or better yet, to make a whole meal around pumpkin!
Hearty Pumpkin Shell Beef Stew Recipe
My father-in-law is the originator of great pumpkin stew – choosing to bake it right in a pumpkin or just as thoroughly in a casserole dish. I once went to a Pumpkin Party in which the host baked pumpkin soup into tiny pumpkins and they became the soup bowl as well. You have to love a food that doubles as a vehicle for itself.
The thing is, pumpkin season starts with a bang – and perhaps before we’re ready. Late summer yields the first of these orange giants. The pumpkin season ends fast too! Although you can happily buy canned pumpkin year round, it’s not the same. So stock up and put this in the freezer for the winter too! You’ll need it.
- 1 pound (chuck or stew meat) beef, cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a pot, heat oil and brown the meat.
- Add onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrot, bell pepper, and toss everything together.
- Cook for couple of minutes and add the tomato, along with beef broth, salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 1.5 hours.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and fibers.
- Place it on a baking sheet.
- Brush with oil.
- Spoon in the stew, replace the top and bake at 325ºF for 1.5 hours.
- Check and add additional bake time, until it is cooked through but not overcooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: The stew freezes well and makes an excellent and impressive meal when you're not in the mood to cook. For a vegetarian twist, replace beef with chickpeas and red beans.
How hearty and comforting does that look? I especially love how it makes the house smell while the stew bakes. There is nothing as wonderful as a pumpkin meal on an October or November day. You’ll be able to impress and please your family and friends with this warm and delicious stew. Just make sure you do all of the amazing pumpkin picking, pumpkin baking, and pumpkin cooking now. If you’re like me, you’ll miss pumpkins during the rest of the year. So get out there and make this gorgeous recipe! I’d love to hear how it turns out.
We hope you enjoy this colorful Hearty Pumpkin Shell Beef Stew recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Tamara from Tamara Like Camera, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dinner Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!