Dinner guests will be astounded when they find out this magnificent Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon recipe took less than an hour to make! A modern take on a Julia Child classic, this is one impressive dish.
I love recreating classic recipes. When you are looking for the classics, there is no one better to turn to than Julia Child. Her beef bourguignon is an iconic recipe and I think her original version is one that everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. If I’m being honest though, I just don’t have the time to cook classic French dishes on a week night, so usually her original recipe is only practical for special occasions.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe
The classic recipe was just screaming for a modern makeover and there is nothing more modern right now than the Instant Pot. If you haven’t picked up an Instant Pot yet, then you really need to. It is a complete game changer and cuts down on recipe cook time by so much. This easy Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon recipe cooks in only 35 minutes, minus the pressure release. You get the most flavorful, rich sauce and fall apart tender chunks of beef.
This Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon recipe is so easy, but truly so impressive. The aroma it gives off while it is cooking is just amazing! Despite the wine, this healthier classic recipe is still kid friendly. The alcohol content all cooks off and just leaves richness in its place. My 11 month old absolutely loved this dinner and happily ate plate after plate of it! If you need to skip the alcohol for personal reasons though, just increase the amount of beef stock.
I served our Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon over classic mashed potatoes. You could do buttered noodles, rice, or even just serve it with biscuits! You definitely want something to sop up all that sauce though. You will not want to leave a drop of that deliciously rich goodness behind.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 slices, thick cut bacon, diced into pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces Cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté and when the HOT appears, add the butter. Once melted, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- With the sauté function still on, add the stew meat. Let cook, undisturbed for 4-5 minutes, or until brown. Season with half of the salt and pepper.
- Add the onions, garlic cloves, and tomato paste. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the seasonings, and turn off the sauté function. Put the lid on and put the lid to sealed.
- Turn on the manual pressure and set the timer to 35 minutes. Once buzzer goes off, leave the pot alone and let the pressure release naturally.
- Serve hot.
Home Chef Tip: If you would like to omit the alcohol, increase the amount of beef stock to compensate instead.
We hope you love this Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Amanda from Old House to New Home, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to check out our other Beef recipes for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!