This easy Baked Oatmeal is the perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. Bake it in advance and reheat portions as needed. You’ll love this delicious and nutritious family-friendly meal!
As a busy mom of two, I rely heavily on make-ahead meals. My four year old, Jake, just started Pre-K, so our new routine requires that we’re out the door (on time!) 5 days a week. To help our mornings go smoothly, I lay out Jake’s clothes the night before, I have his shoes and backpack waiting by the door, and I plan breakfasts that can be prepared quickly. When I want to switch things up from the typical cereal or granola bars, I make Baked Oatmeal. This oatmeal can be made in advance, and portions can be reheated when needed.
This Baked Oatmeal recipe is super easy – a combination of oats, brown sugar, and spices gets placed in a baking dish. A mixture of egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla gets poured over the oats, and then baked. The oats get tender and creamy, and puff up just slightly. You can eat the oatmeal warm straight from the oven, or you can refrigerate it and eat it leftover. I like to serve each portion with a splash of milk.
My family loves berries, so I usually add berries into the oatmeal before baking. If you prefer your oatmeal without berries, just leave them out. Or you can swap the berries for sliced bananas and walnuts for banana-nut oatmeal. This recipe is super versatile; flavor it however you choose.
Once you make this Baked Oatmeal, it will be the only oatmeal you’ll want! It’s fast, easy, family-friendly, and most importantly, delicious. Get baking today, and you’ll be thanking yourself tomorrow morning when all you have to do is reheat and dive into a perfect bowl of oatmeal.
- Dry ingredients:
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon (I double this if making plain or banana-nut flavor)
- ½ tsp salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups milk, plus additional milk for serving
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups fresh berries (larger berries chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2 ½ quart baking dish.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Place half the oat mixture in the baking dish, top with half the berries, and then top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour over the oats.
- Top the oats with the remaining berries.
- Gently shake the baking dish back and forth from side to side to allow the wet mixture to get down into the oats.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, until oats are tender, and the mixture is set.
- Serve immediately with a splash of milk, or cool, then cover and refrigerate to reheat later.
Flavor variations: You can leave out the berries or replace the berries with sliced bananas and chopped walnuts for banana-nut oatmeal.
We hope you enjoy this simple and delicious recipe for Make-Ahead Baked Oatmeal from SoFabFood Contributor, Allison from Celebrating Sweets, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this quick and delicious breakfast idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!