Need a quick casserole fit for a weeknight meal, friends gathering, or office potluck? This Italian Sausage Burrata Penne Bake is the perfect dish. Classic Italian flavors that deliver a delicious comfort food in just one pan.
What’s your favorite potluck dish?
Let’s take a minute to talk about criteria for bringing the perfect potluck dish to any gathering. First, the dish needs to be delicious. I know that seems pretty obvious, but you’re going to want to bring something where everyone is raving over the flavor and asking you for the recipe. (Hint: you’re going to get that reaction to this pasta!) Second, your potluck dish must be easily transportable. This Italian Sausage Burrata Penne Bake is baked up in a dish that you can easily place foil over the top and transport it to your destination. You can take it straight from the oven to the car and warm it again to bring it back to eating temperature upon your arrival.
A customizable dish with classic Italian flavors!
I’m part Italian and I grew up with pasta dishes being served at our family meals. They were the best way to feed a crowd and they were always packed with flavors that everyone enjoyed. You can use penne or rigatoni for this recipe. I like the tube noodles because little bits of meat and sauce get trapped inside for a surprise flavor explosion with every bite! I also like to mix in a hearty helping of mozzarella with the pasta for a gooey, cheesy delight.
What’s in the sauce?
Let’s take a minute to talk about the wine. Of course the perfect Italian dish has to involved wine. I dressed up a store-bought marinara sauce with shallots, garlic, basil, and Chianti. The Chianti gives the sauce an extra rich flavor and will make your friends think you spent all day simmering the perfect sauce. But really, this entire dish comes together in 45 minutes!
The next time your friends or family invite you over for a meal, tell them that you’ll bring a delicious pasta meal to pass. Everyone will be asking for seconds!
- 1 lb penne or rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 24 oz jarred marinara sauce
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, divided
- 3/4 cup Chianti
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium burrata ball, chopped
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add in the shallots and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional few minutes. Pour in the Chianti and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add in the jar of marinara sauce and 2 tablespoons basil, and stir to combine. Heat over low temperature until ready to combine with other ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl or pan, combine the cooked pasta, sausage, mozzarella cheese, and pasta sauce. Stir well to coat.
- Place the pasta mixture into a 13x9 baking dish and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the chopped burrata over the pasta and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining basil before serving.
Home Chef Tip: For a spicier dish, use spicy Italian sausage instead of classic sausage.
We hope you enjoy this Italian Sausage Burrata Penne Bake from SoFabFood Home Chef, April from Food n’ Focus, as much as we do. If you love this potluck dish, you can find more like it by visiting our Dinner Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!