This Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole is a simple recipe that’s perfect for Sunday brunch. Delicious french toast is combined with apples and spices for a breakfast dish that’s sure to impress any crowd!
Whose ready for breakfast? During the winter months, I am all for a nice, warm breakfast to start the day. I have to trek through about two feet of snow regularly to get anywhere so having a bit of warmth in my morning makes it so much better. French toast is always a favorite at my house and we love trying to make different varieties to spice up Sunday brunch. It can be such a pain to make each slice of french toast individually so when I discovered that you could make it ahead of time and bake it right in a casserole pan, I was sold!
Sunday Brunch Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
This apple cinnamon french toast casserole recipe is so painless to make and is a fantastic way to feed a crowd or even to just make beforehand and have breakfast set for the week! I love the little bit of crunch that the apples give the french toast and the spices work so wonderfully with the flavors. You really can’t go wrong with apple-cinnamon anything! What really makes this the perfect breakfast is just a bit of powdered sugar on top and a whole lot of maple syrup. Make sure you plan ahead when you make this simple recipe. It does need to sit overnight to soak up all of the flavors before baking. Trust me, you don’t want to skip that part because it tastes so flavorful the next day!
I highly suggest pairing this french toast with bacon and hash browns. The combination of the sweet apple cinnamon french toast, salty bacon, and crispy hash browns will delight everyone!
- 1 loaf of french bread (cut into chunks)
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups apples (diced)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and coat 9"x13" pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk until well combined.
- Place bread and apples in the bottom of the pan before pouring the egg mixture on top. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight.
- Place in oven and bake 38-40 minutes.
- While french toast is baking, mix together streusel ingredients. After french toast has finished cooking, sprinkle streusel on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with powdered sugar and syrup.
Home Chef Tip: Add 1/4 cup maple syrup to the egg mixture to give it a fun twist!
We hope you enjoy this Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Madi from Mildly Meandering, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Sunday Brunch Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!