These Portable Savory Cheesy Oats are a budget-friendly meal that will have you skipping the morning drive thru. An on-the-go breakfast for the whole family made with steel cut oats, cottage cheese, and hard boiled eggs in about 30 minutes.
How to Make Savory Cheesy Oats
This recipe makes enough for breakfast over three days. You can double the recipe if you want to eat it all week long. All you need is 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, olive oil, fresh garlic, and some minced garlic. Place all these ingredients in a small pot and cook for about five minutes on medium to high heat. This adds a layer of flavor and gets the steel cut oats nice and toasty.
It’s highly recommended that you use steel cut oats and not the regular rolled oats as the steel cut oats will be able to absorb lots of liquid while still having a little bite to them.
Once the oats start smelling nutty, add in two cups of chicken broth and bring it up to a boil while stirring constantly. Once it gets up to a boil, take the heat down and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the broth is absorbed by the oats. Add in a cup of cottage cheese and stir. Let it melt in the oats for about five minutes. Take it off the heat and add in some chopped chives. Cool it down and then pour into individual portable jars.
For additional protein, add in half a hard boiled egg that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. For a little herb note, add in some fresh cilantro.
The perfect on-the-go breakfast!
To make these the perfect on-the-go breakfast, wrap a napkin around the jar to use while you are enjoying it and stick in your spoon. Enjoy this healthy, nourishing Portable Savory Cheesy Oats where ever you may be!
- 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 tsp Chopped Fresh Chives
- 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, cut in half
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Place the oats, garlic, and olive oil in a small pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes to lightly toast the oats.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring up to a boil. Then take the heat down to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the oats have absorbed the broth. Add in the cottage cheese and simmer for 5 more minutes. Take off the heat and stir in the chives.
- Distribute the oats equally in small portable jars and top with the fresh cilantro and half a boiled egg. Cover and wrap in a napkin and take it to go.
Home Chef Tip: You can replace the cottage cheese with any cheese you have on hand like shredded cheddar. This recipe can also be made vegan by replacing the broth with vegetable broth and using vegan cheese and omitting the egg.
We hope you love these Portable Savory Cheesy Oats from SoFabFood Home Chef, Rezel Kealoha, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this on-the-go breakfast, be sure to stop by our Breakfast Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!