Tailor the flavor to your liking to make this Dairy-Free Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry as mild or as spicy as you want. This is a delightful vegetarian dish that’s packed with protein, vegetables, and a whole lot of flavor!
I come from the dairy state of Wisconsin and have grown up on cheese, milk, ice cream, and much more. You can only imagine how disappointed I have been in my ‘older’ years to learn that my body doesn’t exactly agree with dairy anymore. I’ve struggled to come up with recipes that still offer creamy goodness, but are also dairy-free. I have turned to many alternatives such as almond milk, but one of my favorite ingredients to cook with is coconut milk. Coconut milk enables me to create deliciously creamy and flavorful meals, much like this Dairy-Free Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry.
If you were to ask me about my favorite meal, I would most often say pasta, followed by tacos. But there must be something in the air lately because I’ve really been interested in Middle-Eastern cuisine. I’ve always been a fan of hummus and pita, but I’ve been exploring more of the spices lately that define this cuisine. One of my favorite flavors is turmeric, which is included in this recipe. You’ll recognize turmeric by it’s bright gold color, and find it often in curry dishes.
Dairy-Free Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry
What I also love about this dish is that you can tailor the flavor to make it as mild or spicy as you like. Most curry that I’ve tried is usually spicy enough to bring a bead of sweat to my forehead, but by adjusting the amount of cayenne in the dish, you can easily please everyone. If your family is adventurous enough, this dish is perfect because it can be prepared in less than one hour! Even if your family isn’t adventurous, it’s a benefit to you because you’ll certainly enjoy the leftovers.
To top this delicious curry off, I use an entire can of coconut milk. If you’re vegetarian, vegan, or dairy-free, this dish is the right meal for you and will certainly have you reaching for seconds.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon each: cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- 1 head of garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup brown lentils (dried, not canned)
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne powder, optional
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- A few handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast until they start to brown, about 45 seconds. Add the garlic to the pot and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, and sea salt to the pot and cook, stirring the pot a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and, if using, the cayenne powder and 4 cups of water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir the pot a few times to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the coconut milk and cherry tomatoes and bring the pot back to a simmer. Remove the pot from the heat and stir through the cilantro.
Home Chef Tip: Serve with boil-in-the-bag rice on the side to speed up the preparation time and make this a completely satisfying meal.
We hope you love this Dairy-Free Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, April from Food n’ Focus, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Vegetarian Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!