These Smashed Chickpeas Zucchini Fritters are packed with protein and all the good-for-you stuff. Served in a breakfast bowl with vegetables and fruits, this is the perfect start to your day. Vegan and gluten free, this fritters recipe is easy to prepare and made with a handful of ingredients.
Every night before heading to bed, I always think about what I’m going to prepare for breakfast in the morning. Usually, I turn to breakfast bowls because they are simple to prepare, come together quickly, and they’re almost always packed with all of the good-for-you stuff.
Chickpeas Zucchini Fritters Recipe and Breakfast Bowl
I love how easy it is to put this Smashed Chickpeas Zucchini Fritters Protein Breakfast Bowl together. It takes less than 10 minutes of preparation and just a handful of ingredients.
These chickpea and zucchini fritters are moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. While chickpeas are packed with protein that gives you energy, zucchini adds a moistness to the fritters to ensure that they’re never dry. Seasoned with warm spices, these fritters have clean flavors. For brunch or lunch, I like to serve them with a side of greens or a small salad, avocado, and some quick dip.
These fritters make a healthy lunch pack for kids as well as adults. Add a side of toasted bread and it turns into a delicious and filling sandwich.
We love these smashed chickpeas and zucchini fritters because they are:
- Not deep fried
- Packed with protein and nutrition
- Egg free
- Gluten Free
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas / 15.5 oz can low sodium chickpeas
- 4 tablespoon chickpea / garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger / paste
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic / paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan unsweetened yogurt*
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper *
- 1 finely chopped green chili *
- Fistful of finely chopped fresh cilantro *
- Salt to taste
- Couple of twists of black pepper
- In a bowl add grated zucchini. Sprinkle some salt on it and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now place the zucchini on a big kitchen towel, bundle it up, and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Reserve the water for later use.
- Now smash the chickpeas with a potato masher or roughly pulse it in a food processor or blender.
- Dump it into the bowl of zucchini.
- Add in all the spices, salt, yogurt, and chickpea flour.
- Mix until combined.
- You may add 1-2 tablespoon of reserved zucchini water if needed to combine.
- The batter should be thick enough to scoop.
- Taste the batter and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet until warm.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon of batter for each fritter.
- Pour strategically to fit as many as you can in the pan.
- Gently flatten it to make a round shape.
- Drizzle some oil and let it cook on low heat.
- Once the top is not shiny anymore, after 2-3 minutes, check for the doneness of the base.
- Flip the fritters and let cook for additional 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Spoon/brush some oil if needed.
- Serve warm with a side of small salad and a dollop of sour cream or dip of your choice.
Home Chef Tips: Carrots work well instead of zucchini. Adding heat to the fritters is optional. Skip chilies if desired. Use Greek yogurt or plain yogurt of your choice instead of dairy free. Fresh herbs add more flavor. If cilantro is not available, skip it or substitute with dill or parsley. Add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time if the batter feels thin.
I’m certain you’re going to love this recipe as much as my family does!
We hope you love this Smashed Chickpeas Zucchini Fritters recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Khushboo from Carve Your Craving, as much as we do. If you like this recipe, be sure to stop by our Breakfast Section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest for even more fabulous breakfast ideas. Enjoy!