Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup is a delicious and velvety soup perfect for the cold winter months! This soup freezes well, so make a big batch so you can continue to enjoy it throughout the season.
One of the best things about the colder months is that it becomes soup season! There is truly nothing better than a warm bowl of a soup on a cold day. This Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup is warm and comforting and the perfect soup to warm you up when it is chilly outside!
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Recipe
A local pizza shop makes a version of this soup and I loved ordering it last winter. I have been eagerly awaiting for them to make it again, but it doesn’t seem to be on the menu. I couldn’t wait any longer so I decided to make it myself! It turned out perfectly, and we loved eating the leftovers for the rest of the week! This soup also freezes well, so make a big batch of it and throw some in the freezer to have later.
One of the great things about this soup is that it is easily adaptable. You can use whatever type of cream you would like in this soup. Of course, the heavier of cream you use, the thicker and creamier the soup will be. If you don’t want to indulge as much, substitute half and half, light cream, or even fat-free half and half.
I used mini potato gnocchi in our soup, but if you cannot find them, substitute for the full-sized gnocchi. I like my soup full of the good stuff so I used two pounds of gnocchi, but you can certainly use less if you like a brothier soup.
Served with a loaf of crusty bread, this creamy chicken and gnocchi soup makes a great lunch or light dinner. It is the perfect stick-to-your-ribs soup that will warm your family up!
- 2 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1 8-oz. package of frozen spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 3 cups of heavy cream, light cream, or half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 lbs. mini potato gnocchi
- 2 tbsp. oil
- In a large soup pot, heat oil. When hot, add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic cloves and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, cream, and seasonings, and stir. Simmer over medium heat until soup comes to a rolling simmer. Let simmer, uncovered, for at least 45 minutes to thicken. If you are using a lighter cream, simmer longer until it is your desired thickness.
- While soup is thickening, bring a pot of water to a boil. Prepare gnocchi according to package instructions. Add to soup 15 minutes before serving. Add the frozen spinach when you add the gnocchi.
- Let gnocchi and spinach cook in soup and then taste for seasoning before serving. You will need more based on how flavored the chicken broth you use is.
Home Chef Tip: Use the chicken from a rotisserie chicken to save time!
We hope you love this Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Amanda from Old House to New Home, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple and flavorful meal idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!