This Gluten-Free Root Vegetable Lasagna is a beautiful and delicious twist on the classic lasagna using root vegetables and a greek yogurt sauce to create a delightful vegetarian and gluten-free lasagna.
I am a semi-obsessive cook. I work very hard to create a perfect product from every recipe and am very disappointed if a recipe ends up a failure. But, occasionally, I make a successful recipe on the first shot that has great flavors and a gorgeous end result that I can’t wait to make again. As a cook, few things are more satisfying than a win the first go around. Not only was this recipe perfect the first time, but it is gluten-free and vegetarian!
Gluten-free food often conjures up images of dense, crumbly bread or noodles with strange textures or flavorless boxed mixes. Thankfully, gluten-free food doesn’t have to be any of those things! In some cases, it can be better than gluten-filled food.
Gluten-Free Root Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
This ombre lasagna recipe uses root vegetables in place of the noodles. Despite the fact that I think traditional lasagna can be delicious, I didn’t miss the noodles one bit. In fact, it’s so good that I want to swim away in the sauce and not feel one bit bad about it, because each bite is filled with three kinds of root vegetables, greek yogurt, and lots of spinach.
There are few things that satisfy me more than having a really great dish that also happens to be good for you (and it was gorgeous! I could stare at the ombre cross section forever!)! You finish the meal with both your mouth and your stomach thanking you.
A gluten free lasagna that is so delicious and cheesy, you won't even miss the noodles!
- 1/2 large beet
- 1/2 small butternut squash
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare your root vegetables by peeling, seeding, stemming, and thinly slicing them. Set them aside.
- Prepare the filling by combining the eggs, spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, oregano, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until the spinach is evenly distributed.
- Grease your 7x11" casserole dish and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Begin making the lasagna by placing an even layer of butternut squash slices at the bottom of the pan (use half the butternut squash slices). Spread with half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Next, add a layer of the sweet potato. Then, sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of butternut squash, then spread with the rest of the ricotta mixture. Layer the beet next, then top with the remaining mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle the 1/2 c. parmesan on the very top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Once you pull the lasagna out of the oven, begin making the sauce. Melt the butter in a medium to large skillet set over medium heat. Add the garlic powder. Stir for 10 seconds until fragrant. Add the water and stir for 30 seconds or until it begins to simmer. Remove from the heat, then stir in the yogurt with a rubber spatula, and then add the 3/4 cup parmesan and salt. Stir until the parmesan is completely melted.
- Let lasagna sit about 10 minutes, then cut it into squares. Top each square with a few spoonfuls of yogurt sauce and a sprinkle of dried oregano. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Rather than slicing the root vegetables with a knife, use a potato peeler to slice thin pieces without cutting your fingers up.
Looking for a way to add more vegetables to your diet? This recipe is for you. Looking for a variation on lasagna? This recipe is for you. Gluten-Free? This recipe is definitely for you. It’s packed with flavor, easy to make, and great for a family meal. The gorgeous colors are fun for kids, and adults will be grateful for a healthier, more sophisticated lasagna.
We hope you love this recipe for Gluten-Free Root Vegetable Lasagna from SoFabFood Contributor, Landen from Measure & Whisk, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our other Gluten-Free Recipes. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!