We’ve all read the extensive research on the health benefits of red wine, but did you know that it’s lighter, sweeter cousin is raising its hand in the health arena too? From disease prevention to weight loss, let’s raise a glass to white wine health benefits! Cheers!
Red wine or white wine? What’s your pleasure?
We can all agree that sitting down with our favorite glass of wine at the end of busy work day can be very relaxing and satisfying and even good for you according to researchers. Well, that is if you’re a red wine drinker of course. We’ve all read all of the hype and studies about how good a nice glass of red wine for us is, but have you heard that it’s lighter, sweeter cousin has its own set of health benefits?
That’s right! If you prefer a good Moscato over a glass of Merlot, you’re in luck because we’re here to share some pretty amazing white wine health benefits with you today! From disease control to weight loss to a reduced hangover, we’re pretty certain you should be reaching for that glass of white whine whenever the mood strikes (within reason, of course!).
5 health facts about white wine consumption:
- Reduced Hangover: Congeners are chemical byproducts of alcohol fermentation that cause hangovers. Most of a beverage’s flavor and aroma comes from these congeners. Since white wine contains lower levels of congeners compared with red wine because the chemical’s concentration is higher in dark alcoholic beverages, drinking white wine can help you avoid the headache, nausea, and irritability of hangovers.
- Promote Weight Loss: Seems that everyone is on some kind of diet these days. Did you know that white wine contains those magical antioxidants you hear so much about? Those antioxidants help you trim that waistline. The antioxidants promote weight loss when you consume one or two glasses of white wine per day. Don’t over-indulge though! Drinking too much wine can have the opposite effect because calories add up quickly!
- Improve Lung Function: Research from the University of Buffalo suggests that drinking white wine, even more so than red, can help keep your lungs healthy. The link between the two is unclear. It might be thanks to its antioxidant-rich content, but more research still has to be done.
- Protect Your Heart: Raise a glass or two of white wine per day to reduce the risk of heart disease by at least 25%. Although it’s been proven that the grapes’ skin is high in antioxidants and nutrients (and the skins are not used in white wine production), it’s recently been discovered that the pulp (core) of grapes is just as healthy for you!
- Disease Prevention: Studies analyzing white wine’s effects on particular diseases have found that its antioxidant content is effective for preventing lung disease and breast cancer.
We hope you find this information about the health benefits of white wine helpful (and super fun to share at parties for those of you who enjoy a lighter wine). If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more articles like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience. Message intended for our readers 21 years of age and older. Please drink responsibly!