Learn how to make this mouth-watering, authentic Italian Vegetarian Mushroom Risotto with Peas with this simple step-by-step recipe. Perfect as a holiday side dish or a hearty vegetarian weeknight meal.
Grab a fork because your tastebuds are in for a real treat with this savory recipe for Vegetarian Mushroom Risotto with Peas. Sautéed mushrooms, garlic, creamy Arborio rice, and white wine give this unique side dish an amazing flavor that will have everyone asking for seconds (or thirds). This Mushroom Risotto is so hearty and delicious, it’s the perfect vegetarian entrée paired with your favorite bread and a salad.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups mixed white and shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5-7 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1¾ cups arborio rice or other risotto rice
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Turn heat to the lowest setting to keep warm.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the risotto rice and let it toast for a couple of minutes.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring often, until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth, simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the sauce is creamy adding broth by the cupfuls, up to 7 cups, until absorbed, close to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and mix in the parmesan cheese.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Vegetarian Mushroom Risotto with Peas as much as we do. If you love this recipe, find more like it by visiting our Vegetarian Section. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and find us on Pinterest for even more fabulous meal ideas. Enjoy!