Ready in about 30 minutes, these awesome Tasty Turkey and Bean Tostadas are a sure-fire healthy meal on busy weeknights. Bursting with color, flavor, and crunch, your whole family will enjoy this simple no-fork-required meal!
Ground Turkey and Bean Tostadas: A Healthy 30 Minute Meal
These low sodium, gluten-free Tasty Turkey and Bean Tostadas are perfect for busy weeknights. Ready in about 30 minutes, this is a colorful and healthy meal the whole family can enjoy. Crispy tortillas are piled high with refried beans, cheese, seasoned and cooked lean ground turkey, more cheese, lettuce, and pico to make a fun, no-fork-required meal that’s full of all of your food groups. For even more flavor, you can add sour cream, avocado slices, and jalapeños. Feel free to get creative and make these your own, but be careful how high you stack them or you might need that fork after all!
- 6 Corn Tortillas (We found these orange tortillas at our local grocer's bakery and fried them, but you can buy prepared to save time.)
- Vegetable oil for frying tortillas
- 1.5 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1-16 oz can refried beans (or you can make your own low sodium refried beans)
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 sprigs fresh cilandro, stems removed and chopped
- Sour cream, optional for topping
- Sliced avocado, optional for topping
- To Prepare the Tortillas:
- Pour oil into a large heavy-bottomed pan about 2 inches deep. Over medium heat, bring to 375ºF. Add tortillas, one at a time, and fry until crispy, 1 to 1.5 minutes each. Transfer to a paper towel-lined pan and set aside.
- For the Ground Turkey:
- In a large pan, break up ground turkey and cook over medium heat until just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings to ground turkey and stir to blend, then continue to cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently, about 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
- For Pico (while meat is frying):
- Combine fresh, chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, onions, and cilantro, then sprinkle in the lime juice, stir, set aside.
- To Prepare Tostadas:
- Spread beans evenly on each tortilla, top with cheese, then broil for about 30 seconds, just until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Top with ground turkey, lettuce, more cheese, then pico. Add additional toppings like sour cream and avocado slices if you'd like.
- Enjoy warm!
We hope you love these Tasty Turkey and Bean Tostadas as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals and Low Sodium sections for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!