Low Sodium Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches
We love a good pulled pork sandwich that’s full of satisfying flavors for a hearty lunch or a quick dinner with leftover pork when we’re strapped for time. If you’ve recently smoked a tenderloin or cooked a pork roast in the Crock Pot, it’s likely you have leftovers and that’s where this easy, heart-healthy recipe comes in handy. Pork is one of our favorite meats, but since it is higher in sodium than other meats, we always watch the sodium we add to it when cooking our favorite meals without sacrificing flavor. These simple and delicious Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches are one of our favorite go-to meals for that reason.
The secret to making a good meal great is always in the sauce, marinade, or seasonings. Our favorite homemade low-sodium barbecue sauce delivers an amazing flavor combination that’s like a party in your mouth without all of the salt. It’s simple to make in bulk and store in the refrigerator just like the store-bought varieties without all of the added sodium.
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp no salt butter
- 1 cup lower sodium ketchup
- ½ cup beer (You can use non-alcoholic beer as well. This helps to break down the acids in the ketchup.)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 finely chopped small red sweet pepper or jalepeño for added heat
- 1 tbsp lower sodium steak sauce
- 10 dashes organic hot sauce
- For the Sandwiches:
- 2 cups pulled or shredded pork
- 1 cup low sodium barbecue sauce, more if you prefer your BBQ really saucy
- Gluten-free or whole wheat thin buns
- Mozzarella cheese, optional
- Sauce Instructions:
- Place the butter in a large, deep frying pan and melt.
- Add the minced garlic, sweet pepper, and onion to the pan. Fry in the butter until tender.
- Pour in all of the wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pulled Pork Sandwich Instructions:
- Pull or shred pork and place in a frying pan on the stove top.
- Pour in BBQ sauce and stir.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve on gluten-free or whole wheat thin buns.
Pair these delicious, healthier sandwiches with your favorite no-salt added beans and bread and butter pickles for an amazing meal the whole family will love. We hope that you’ll enjoy these low sodium BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches as much as we do. If you love this recipe, head over to our Low Sodium Recipe Index for many more ideas for lowering the sodium content in your diet. To get more recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow along on Pinterest. Enjoy!