Not only is it one of your favorite fall flavors, but the pumpkin is also a healthy addition to recipes. These five surprising pumpkin health benefits will have you adding more of this delicious squash to your weeknight meals!
Ahhhh…the pumpkin. Our favorite fall flavor, but did you know this orange gourd is actually good for you too? From digestive health to heart health, this beautifully tasty squash has many health benefits including being a cancer deterrent. Now that we all know that our favorite obsession during the cooler, fall months is actually good for us, let’s dive into all of the health benefits that pumpkins have to offer!
5 health benefits of your favorite fall produce!
- Reduce risk of chronic diseases – Pumpkins contain antioxidants, such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. These antioxidants can neutralize free radicals, stopping them from damaging your cells and developing chronic illness like cancer.
- Regulate blood pressure – Pumpkins contain potassium and antioxidants, which contribute to good heart health. There are plenty of healthy fats in the seeds so using pumpkin seed oil in your cooking helps prevent high blood pressure and can even lower already-high levels.
- May promote weight loss – Pumpkins contain less than 50 calories per cup and are comprised of 94% water. In other words, pumpkin is a weight-loss friendly food because you can consume more of it than other carb sources and consume fewer calories. It’s also a good source of fiber which helps regulate digestion.
- Combat diabetes – Enjoying pumpkin without a lot of additives allows you to enjoy a low-calorie meal and maintain or lose weight which is key to keeping Type 2 Diabetes in check.
- Promote healthy skin – Pumpkin is high in beta-carotene which boosts your skin’s defenses against harmful UV rays. It also contains high amounts of vitamin C which is essential for healthy skin. Your body needs this vitamin to make collagen, a protein that keeps your skin strong, healthy, and youthful.
3 recipes using our favorite fall flavor:
- This Hearty Pumpkin Shell Beef Stew recipe combines the best of all things fall. A classic beef stew is served up in pumpkin shell bowls for a fantastic presentation and a satisfyingly delicious meal!
- This 5-Ingredient Vegan Pumpkin Cauliflower Mash is a gluten-free side dish you need to try. Brimming with the flavors of fall and much more delicious and satisfying than boring mashed potatoes!
- Pumpkin and spice are a match made in heaven, and this Maple Pumpkin Spice Hummus recipe is no exception. Ready in just 10 minutes with seven ingredients, this is the perfect appetizer for all of your fall celebrations!
We hope you find this information about the health benefits of pumpkin useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience.