If you’re craving a homemade pie, but don’t care to go to the fuss, this Summer Berry Galette recipe is the answer. Simple to make and full of fresh summer flavors, this is the perfect summer dessert!
Summer Berry Galette: A seasonal and simple dessert
There is nothing more quintessentially summer than a berry pie, but the fuss of making a homemade pie from scratch can seem daunting in a season where the goal is to simplify and soak up the sunshine. I have no interest in being in the kitchen around a hot oven any longer than I have to, even though I love a big slice of rich berry pie on a summer night. For these reasons and so many more, I love to make galettes! They are the cool, laid-back cousin of the typical pie and are so easy to put together with just as big of a taste payoff. Galettes are a more free-form way to make a pie, without a tin and no complicated latices required. Plus, they are insanely delicious, and perfect for fresh summer berries.
I love using a pre-made pie crust to make this Summer Berry Galette, which makes putting this recipe together so simple. The result? A warm, delicious dessert, packed with summer berries, perfect for lazy summer nights without any of the stress that comes with pie making. This is a great recipe to get the kids involved since there is no wrong way to roll out or shape the dough, and it can be fun for them to fold up the sides and create their masterpiece. Plus, this recipe is so easy that it can be fun to make a couple as a treat for a crowd, served warm and topped with a big scoop of ice cream. My whole family is obsessed and let’s out a cheer when they see me pull the pie crust from the fridge. I know you’re family is going to love it too!
- 2 pie crusts (I used pre-made, packaged)
- 4 cups berries (I used blueberries, blackberries, and quartered strawberries)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Knead together pie crusts until fully combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie crust into a 13-inch round (or any shape you please!). Transfer the crust to a baking sheet and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, toss the berries with the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar and cornstarch to combine. Add the mixture to bowl with berries and toss to coat.
- Take the crust from the refrigerator and pile the berries in the center of the crust, leaving an inch or two uncovered around the edge.
- Fold the edge of the dough over the berries around the entire edge of the crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tbsp of water. Lightly brush around the edge of the crust. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar (if using).
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
Home Chef Tip: This galette is super adaptable and perfect for any season! Substitute berries for peaches later in the summer, or apple pie filling in the fall! Top with ice cream for the perfect dessert any time of year!
Is your mouth watering yet? We hope you love this Summer Berry Galette recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Liz from The Pretty Life Girls, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delightful recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it, and subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss another tasty recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!