Filled with either lean ground turkey or beef, these Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are served with a tomato sauce and are sure to impress a dinner crowd. This simple weeknight meal is popular in Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean, and parts of Asia. This classic comfort food is a hit every time!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls: A Classic Comfort Food
Hello everyone! I’m Sara Maniez from Life’s Little Sweets. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls may seem difficult to prepare, but are in fact very easy to make. They only require a few simple ingredients which you may already have on hand: lean ground turkey or beef, garlic, yellow onions, green cabbage, and condensed tomato soup.
This recipe is an Americanized version of homemade Stuffed Cabbage Rolls that will put smiles on the faces of the people you serve them to!
Have you tried stuffed cabbage rolls before?
I first had Stuffed Cabbage Rolls when I was a child and my parents would order a take out Mediterranean platter from a local and very good Middle Eastern and Mediterranean restaurant called Bishop’s. There would be stuffed grape leaves, stuffed peppers, hummus, red onion slices, lemon, rice pilaf, and pita bread. This platter delighted all my senses and made lasting memories of what comfort food should taste like. My parents did well by exposing me to many different cultures through food and I am so grateful for it!
These Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are a simple comfort food: lean ground beef or turkey made with garlic and onions stuffed into cabbage leaves and served with a tomato sauce. They make a satisfying dish alongside your dinner or as a main dish for your weeknight meal.
A budget-friendly international dinner at home!
These Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are as economical as they are savory! They are not expensive to make because they are comprised of only lean ground turkey or beef, cabbage leaves, garlic, and onion, using condensed tomato soup for the tomato sauce.
Look at those Stuffed Cabbage Rolls! Who could resist a plateful of them? Those tender cabbage leaves are incredible to bite into. This is international food made easy at home!
I know you will love these Stuffed Cabbage Rolls as much as my family does. If you haven’t had them before, you need to try them! Make this recipe for your family and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup cooked rice (1/3 uncooked rice)
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 10.75-oz can condensed tomato soup
- Parsley flakes, Kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper for serving
- In a large and wide pot, bring salted water to a boil, add the cabbage leaves, boil for 2-4 minutes. Leaves should be softened. Drain, set leave aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the lean ground turkey or beef, 1 cup cooked rice, chopped onion, egg, 2 tablespoons tomato soup, Kosher salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the cooked cabbage leaves. Roll the cabbage leaves. You can secure them with a toothpick, if you want. If the cabbage leaves are ripped, just double them up with an extra cabbage leaf so that the ground meat filing will not come out during cooking.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, carefully place the rolled cabbage leaves in the skillet and pour the remaining condensed tomato soup over the stuffed cabbage leaves. Cover the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes. Baste the cabbage leaves with the tomato sauce periodically. After 40 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: After rolling the cabbage leaves, secure the rolls with toothpicks or kitchen string.
We hope you enjoy this Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our other comfort food recipe ideas. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!