A hearty soup for lunch or dinner, this Spicy Vegetarian Potato Tortilla Soup combines potatoes, tomatoes, corn, and beans in a cumin and chili powder vegetable broth base. This simple soup can be ready in about 30 minutes on the stovetop or can simmer slowly all day in your Crock Pot.
This simple and delicious Spicy Vegetarian Potato Tortilla Soup is perfect for a hearty lunch on a cold winter day or evening after a long day at work. Cumin and chili powder give the vegetable broth base a nice spicy kick and the combination of red beans, tomatoes, corn, and potatoes make it a fabulous fiesta delivered in a bowl. Topped with cheese and sour cream and served up with tortilla chips, this soup is sure to satisfy. It can easily be made vegan by leaving off the toppings. Because of the high starch in the potatoes, this soup is thick like a stew. If you’d like something a little more soupy, use the same recipe omitting the potatoes and it still tastes amazing!
- 10 small red potatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups canned low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can no salt added Rotel
- 1 can no salt added red beans
- 1 can no salt added corn
- ⅓ cup carrots, shredded
- Optional for Topping:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- In a large pot, quick boil 3 cups water on the stovetop. Add potatoes and boil for approximately 15 minutes until tender.
- Add vegetable broth and stir in spices.
- Add all other ingredients, stir, simmer for roughly 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese and sour cream with tortilla chips for scooping, optional.
We hope you love this Spicy Vegetarian Potato Tortilla Soup recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!