This Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup is so hearty you’ll be convinced it’s a stew. This heart-healthy recipe combines shrimp, sausage, and vegetables in a seasoned tomato and broth base that’s ready in less than an hour.
Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup Recipe
If you’re looking for a satisfying, quick, and simple idea for dinner tonight that’s also low in sodium, you’ve come to the right place because this Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup is exactly the recipe you’re looking for! Ready in under an hour, this hearty soup is packed full of shrimp, sausage, and vegetables, all simmered in the bold flavor of a spicy tomato and broth base. Served with some bread, crackers, or just by itself, this is one satisfying meal that your family will love!
The recipe we’re sharing today is for the quick version of this Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup, but you can easily simmer these ingredients slowly throughout the day in your slow cooker for an even bolder flavor than this quick version provides. Either way, once you serve this delightfully warming soup to your family, they’ll be asking for it again and again.
- 1.5 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb jalapeño turkey sausage, sliced in rounds
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 8-oz can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 8 grape tomatoes, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 15-oz can no salt added corn
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Toss in shrimp and sausage, stirring occasionally, sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- While the meat is sautéing, cut vegetables, then add them in with the shrimp and sausage.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and broth, stir, add in the spices and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!
Home Chef Tips: To reduce the time even more, you can substitute a can of No Salt Added Ro*tel® for the diced vegetables. If you're using your slow cooker, just toss all of the ingredients in together, stir to combine, and simmer on low for 7 hours or high for 3-4.
We hope you love this Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Soup recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple and flavorful meal idea, find more quick and healthy weeknight meals by visiting our 30-Minute Meals, Slow Cooker, and Low Sodium sections. If you’re just on the hunt for more comforting soup recipes, we have plenty of those for you too in our Soup section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!