If you follow a gluten free or low carb diet, you’re familiar with Spaghetti Squash, but did you know it offers many health benefits and nutrients your body needs? Read these health facts and try these four spaghetti squash recipes to find out for yourself!
Is spaghetti squash really healthy?
Sure, spaghetti squash is a great pasta substitute if you’re following a gluten free or low carb diet, but did you know there are many more recipes you can create with this healthy, seasonal squash? Not only is this vegetable low in carbs and gluten free, but it also houses many vitamins and nutrients your body needs! First, read up on these amazing health benefits of the spaghetti squash, then try our four favorite spaghetti squash recipes on a busy weeknight.
5 Incredible Health Benefits of Spaghetti Squash:
- Promotes eye and skin health: This flavorful vegetable is a good source of vitamin A, an essential nutrient that protects the eyes and skin from cellular damage.
- Up your fiber intake: One cup of spaghetti squash has 2.2g of fiber (9% RDA). Studies have shown that people who eat fiber-rich diets are at decreased risk for heart disease, certain cancers, and diabetes.
- May help prevent birth defects: Folate, found in the spaghetti squash, is a nutrient responsible for the formation and development of new cells which support the development of an unborn fetus.
- Promote healthy bones: The dominant mineral in spaghetti squash is manganese, with 0.2 mg (8% RDA). Manganese is needed only in small amounts, but it has a big job. Studies have shown that manganese aids in the production of healthy bones, tissues, and sex hormones.
- Snack healthy: Spaghetti squash seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. Roast them as you would pumpkin seeds and enjoy a healthy snack to curb mid-afternoon hunger.
Need a pasta substitute? Try these!
- Learn how to make Tomato Basil Parmesan and Shrimp Alfredo Roasted Stuffed Spaghetti Squash for a busy weeknight meal when you want pasta, but you need to ditch the carbs!
- This Deep Dish Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe is packed with layers of tender spaghetti squash, pizzeria-inspired toppings, and savory mozzarella. Satisfy your pizza cravings with this easy recipe that is low-carb, high flavor, and almost healthy!
- Looking for a low-carb meal that’s completely satisfying? This Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash is the answer! Cook the squash ahead during your weekly meal prep then make this cheap healthy meal for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Spaghetti Squash Turkey Sausage Lasagna Boats are a delightful dinner for less than $10.00. These squash-filled “boats” are portion controlled, low in carbs, and they look beautiful on your table.
We hope you love these spaghetti squash recipes as much as we do and that you’ll enjoy reaping the health benefits of this superfood daily. If you love these recipes, visit our other spaghetti squash recipes for more like them. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!