These baked Smothered Chicken Burritos with Rice and Beans are stuffed with shredded chicken, brown rice, and pinto beans. This simple heart-healthy, 30-minute meal is absolutely drool worthy!
Heart-Healthy Smothered Chicken Burritos with Rice and Pintos
Don’t ditch the idea of a Mexican Fiesta Night just because you’re watching your sodium intake! These Heart-Healthy Smothered Chicken Burritos with Rice and Beans can definitely make the cut in your low sodium meal plan. Packed with tender, shredded chicken, pinto beans, brown rice, and a simple homemade taco sauce, then covered in more sauce and cheese, these hearty burritos can be ready in about 30 minutes. They’re amazingly flavorful and pair perfectly with refried beans and no salt added corn. Bring the spicy goodness back to the dinner table with this delicious dish!
Using a low sodium tortilla, like Toufayan Bakeries’ Low Carb/Low Sodium Wraps, or opting for corn tortillas, is the key to this recipe’s success. Also key is steering away from store-bought sauces which isn’t necessary at all when you can make your own taco sauce in minutes! If you follow the recipe below exactly, this dish comes in at around 460 mg of sodium while traditional recipes for chicken burritos with rice and beans average at around 2000 mg. All of the flavor without all of the salt, and a delicious meal your family will love!
Home Chef Tip: To make this a 30-minute meal, you'll need to use unseasoned (or seasons with a no salt seasoning) leftover chicken breast, or you can buy an unseasoned rotisserie chicken at your favorite grocery store.
- 4 Toufayan Bakeries Low Carb/Low Sodium Wraps
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup Bush's® Reduced Sodium Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1-4.5 oz can Old El Paso™ Green Chiles
- 2 cups low sodium taco sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 15 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional for heat
- Combine all ingredients to sauce consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Shred your unseasoned chicken.
- Add chicken, rice, drained pinto beans, 1 cup of sauce, and green chiles, and combine to make your burrito filling.
- Lay the tortillas out on a flat surface, fill with 1 cup of the chicken mixture, and burrito roll to close, then place in a baking dish.
- Repeat until you've made the four burritos.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
Disclosure: The 460 mg sodium per serving listed in this post is based on using the exact ingredients in this recipe. If you swap up an ingredient, the values change significantly.
We hope you love this Heart-Healthy Smothered Chicken Burrito with Rice and Beans recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this low sodium 30-minute meal idea, be sure to visit our Low Sodium section for more like it and subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss another healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!