When you’re in the mood for a healthy, easy lunch alternative, but a salad just doesn’t sound appealing, turn to this simply delightful recipe for Smoky Cannellini Beans on Garlic Toast. This is a meatless lunch option that’s packed with protein and bold flavors!
Around our house, we eat a lot of salads. A lot. I like to turn them into meals by adding grains like quinoa or farro or sometimes chicken, though we’re weekday vegetarians so that’s become more rare. I love salads and we’ve learned how to make them interesting, but even still, sometimes I’m just not in the mood for greens. When I’m looking for a healthy, easy lunch alternative, I’ll often turn here: toast with toppings!
Smoky Cannellini Beans on Garlic Toast
Here, we’re taking two of my favorite flavors – smoky and garlicky – and combining them. The beauty of this recipe is that it’s super easy. Combine your tomato paste, beans, smoked paprika, etc. into a skilled and warm through. Even though I typically consider loaded toast a snack or appetizer, this one’s extra hearty and definitely meal-worthy!
While the bean mixture is cooking, get your toast going. It’s better to use thickly sliced bread because it holds the toppings better. We throw ours in the oven because a) we don’t own a toaster, and b) they’re all done at once.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste
- 1 heaping spoonful tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Parmesan, for serving
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add smoked paprika, salt, tomato paste, minced garlic, and beans. Cook another 3-4 minutes until beans are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, butter the bread slices and season with garlic powder. Toast (butter side up) in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top toasts with bean mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley before serving.
Home Chef Tip: Room-temp butter makes for easier spreading! Because I can never remember to take the butter out early enough, I cheat and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. Watch it closely though. It doesn't take much for butter to melt!
We hope you love this Smoky Cannellini Beans on Garlic Toast recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Sarah from Drool Worthy Daily, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple and flavorful meal idea, be sure to check out our other Lunch Recipes to help you fuel your busy day. Subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!