You will feel like you are strolling the shores of Ireland after just one bite of this Smoked Trout with Fennel Salad recipe. The creamy horseradish dressing and tart oranges make this dish complete.
Hello everyone, I am April Erhard from April Golightly, and I am excited to share one of my favorite recipes with you today. It feels like just yesterday that I was in Ireland trying out some of the best Restaurants in Ireland. I can almost still taste all the amazing fish that they make there. The food tour I went on travels over Ireland’s Ancient East and took us to some of the best restaurants I have ever been to.
This surprised most of the people I spoke to about Ireland. Ireland has undergone a foodie revolution and has taken their food scene to the next level. Some of my favorite places are incredibly focused on sustainability and local produce like the Green Barn at Burtown House (they inspired this Beet Soup Recipe) and Bassett’s Restaurant where I was inspired to make this Smoked Trout with Fennel Salad recipe I’m sharing with you today.
Smoked Trout + Fennel Salad Recipe
While I was in Ireland, I was inspired to try fish that I usually do not eat at home. Since they are surrounded by water, the fish is exceptionally fresh. I ate more fish than I ever have in my entire life. I normally order white fish like Mahi. Since the fish was so fresh, I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and try the Smoked Trout with oranges, fennel salad, and horseradish cream from Bassett’s Restaurant in Thomastown, Kilkenny.
When I got home from my trip, I set out to try to replicate that Smoked Trout with Fennel Salad recipe as best as I could. Everyone in my house loves the dish, and it is something that I will continue to make in the future. Making this dish is an easy way to bring Ireland to your home.
This Smoked Trout with Fennel Salad is delicious, and you will fall in love with the fresh and tasty flavor combination. It is the combination of fresh smoked trout mixed with fennel, olive oil, cream, fresh squeezed orange juice, red wine vinegar, and horseradish. You serve the trout salad over a bed of greens with fennel and orange or tangerine pieces. Sounds amazing, right?
- 1 lb fresh trout
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh horseradish, ground
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice, divided
- 2 tbsp green fennel stalks, grated
- 2 tbsp fennel frond leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup white fennel bulb, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- Smoke your trout using a smoker for 30 minutes at 150°F using a mild wood like applewood.
- Mix together olive oil, fresh ground horseradish, heavy whipping cream, two tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice, grated green fennel stalk, chopped fennel frond leaves, and red wine vinegar. Salt to taste.
- Let the smoked trout cool. Take the skin off the trout and shred the pieces. Mix the trout with 3/4 cup of the fennel dressing.
- Mix the remainder of the dressing with remaining two tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Serve the smoked trout mixture over a bed of spinach with the chopped fennel bulb and orange pieces.
- Drizzle the remaining fennel dressing on top of the entire salad. Serve cold.
Home Chef Tip: If you do not have a smoker, you can marinate the fresh trout for 30 minutes in applewood liquid smoke and then bake for 15 minutes in a foil pocket at 350ºF.
We hope you love this Smoked Trout + Fennel Salad recipe from Home Chef, April from April Golightly, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Seafood section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!