If you’re craving Mexican food tonight, there’s no need to go out. This easy Slow Cooker Posole Verde is packed with chicken, salsa verde, hominy, poblano peppers, avocado, and tortilla strips for an amazing flavor combination that’s sure to delight!
I’ve always had a love for Mexican food. It’s seriously like soul food to me; the kind of food that is beyond just comfort food, it’s the kind of food that actually warms your soul. I have been known to eat Mexican food multiple days in a row, without shame. The best part, though, has been learning to make it at home. Mexican food is actually really easy to replicate at home, whether it’s a traditional recipe passed down from generation to generation, or just a recipe you’re trying to replicate from a restaurant at home.
This Slow Cooker Posole Verde is a bit of both. I grew up in New Mexico, where posole is a huge traditional family meal. Typically though, red chile pork posole is the traditional New Mexican style posole. I’m not a huge fan of red chile, so I decided to make my own version.
The best part of this meal isn’t the flavor, it isn’t the fact that it looks drool worthy. It’s the fact that it only takes one pot. Slow cooker meals are the best, especially when you have a busy family on your hands or your life is just busy and you don’t have time to stand over the stove. With a four month old, I need all the time I can get. So slow cooker meals are a must around here!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar salsa verde sauce
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 can hominy
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted (optional), seeded & diced
- 1 avocado, sliced, garnish
- Tortilla strips, garnish
- Cilantro, garnish
- Place chicken breasts and hominy into slow cooker.
- Cover with salsa verde.
- Add enough broth to completely cover chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours (or on low for 6-8 hours).
- Before serving, roast poblano pepper on oven rack at 350ºF for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Using tongs and knife, seed and dice pepper.
- Add diced peppers to Crock Pot.
- Stir posole and shred chicken with utensil (it will fall apart naturally).
- Pour into individual bowls, top with tortilla strips, cilantro, and avocado.
- Serve immediately.
Tip: if your family doesn’t like spicy food, skip the salsa verde and add more broth instead.
And there you go! A perfectly delicious, easy slow cooker meal that will warm your soul. We hope you love this Slow Cooker Posole Verde recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Madison from The Wetherills Say I Do, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our Crock Pot section for more easy weeknight meal ideas. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!