These simple Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas are the perfect comfort food for a busy weeknight meal. This dump dinner uses a handful of simple ingredients to slow cook for three hours and mimics a favorite Mexican dish. A one-pot meal with minimal prep and clean up.
Make your favorite Mexican dish without all the hassle!
Enchiladas are one of my absolute favorite dinners, but sometimes I truly don’t feel like rolling tortillas and making a full batch of enchiladas. I decided to try out a new recipe in my slow cooker (AKA my lifesaver) for a simple slow cooker enchilada casserole, and it’s deliciously easy! You can also adjust the instructions to make this quick dump dinner in an Instant Pot if you have one. It has all of the usual ingredients you’d have in a classic batch of chicken enchiladas, but none of the stuffing and rolling.
However, if you prefer classic enchiladas, my recipe for simple 5-ingredient chicken enchiladas is one of my all-time favorites!
The only ingredient in this enchilada casserole that I don’t normally add to my oven-baked enchiladas is cream of chicken soup. It gives this casserole a creaminess as well as extra flavor. Once cooked, you can serve it over rice or by itself. I like it by itself, sprinkled with chopped cilantro and a side of tortilla chips for a little extra crunch. Scoop it up with the chips and it’s the perfect comfort food!
Short cuts make this enchilada casserole even easier!
You use pre-cooked chicken in this recipe. There are a few different ways to go about this: meal prep basic seasoned chicken in the oven, cook it in your slow cooker or instant pot prior to cooking the casserole, or use shredded rotisserie chicken. We all know what a lifesaver rotisserie chickens can be! In my case, I was in a time crunch, so I cooked seasoned chicken in the oven, then cut into small cubes to use in my enchilada casserole. If you cook chicken in salsa verde sauce, you can use some of the chicken for this casserole recipe and some for tacos another night! Multi-purpose meals are the best meals.
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 cans green enchilada sauce (10 oz)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 can green chiles
- 3 cups Mexican cheese mix
- 6-8 tortillas
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Optional: Cook chicken in 1 can of enchilada sauce in slow cooker or instant pot. Remove, shred, and set aside. Alternatively, use rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chicken.
- Cut tortillas into pieces with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and cream cheese. Microwave, stir, and repeat until smooth and warm. Stir in green chiles.
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with cooking spray, or line if desired.
- Pour a little sauce mixture into the prepared slow cooker. Top with a layer of tortillas, then chicken, then cheese, and repeat. For best results, finish the top with sauce, not cheese.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for up to 6 hours with the lid on until heated through.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese, return the lid and cook until cheese is melted.
- Scoop and serve alone or on top of rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired.
Home Chef Tip: This recipe is mild, but you can easily add chopped jalapeños or use a spicier enchilada sauce if you like more heat!
We hope you enjoy these Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this easy dump dinner, you can find more like it by visiting our Slow Cooker Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!