Simple to make, full of robust flavors, and fall-off-the bone tenderness, these Heart Healthy Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Ribs are perfect for busy weeknights, family gatherings, and football get togethers!
Heart Healthy Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Ribs
These Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Ribs are so simple to make! Prep time is about 30 minutes, without any shortcuts, then they simmer low and slow in your Crock Pot throughout the day creating flavorful, fall-off-the-bone ribs that are perfect for busy weeknights, family gatherings, and they’re perfect to bring along with you to a pot luck supper. If you do plan on bringing them along to your next pot luck, you better print out the recipe because everyone will be asking for it, for sure!
The simmering sauce for these addictive ribs is a simple combination of brown sugar, no salt added ketchup, barbecue sauce, and a few other ingredients you probably already have on hand. The key to making this dish truly low in sodium is to make your own barbecue sauce at home which really takes no time at all. If you need to skip that step because you don’t have the time, both Stubb’s® Original Bar-B-Q Sauce and Sweet Baby Ray’s® Barbecue Sauce are fairly low in sodium and quite tasty so you could use either to speed the prep time along.
- 2-3 lb slab of pork ribs (cut the slab in half if it won't fit in your slow cooker)
- 1 cup no salt added ketchup
- 1 cup low sodium barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium Worcestershire Sauce
- 5-10 dashes of your favorite hot sauce (you determine the heat)
- Wash and pat dry your ribs; cutting slab in half if necessary to fit in your slow cooker, set aside.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and cover bottom of slow cooker with a thin layer of sauce.
- Add the ribs to the slow cooker.
- Cover with the remaining sauce.
- Cover and simmer on low for 8 hours. The meat will be fall-off-the-bone tender.
Home Chef Tip: If you don't have all day to wait on your ribs, you can simmer them on the high setting of your slow cooker for 4 hours and they'll still be fantastic, but we find the meat is more tender when cooked on the low setting for 8 hours.
We hope you love these Heart Healthy Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Ribs as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our Slow Cooker section for more easy weeknight meal ideas. If you’re looking for more heart healthy recipes, you can find plenty of delicious ones in our Low Sodium section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!